IPC-Color4K-T180 quality

bozoreefer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking to replace my driveway cam with the IPC-Color4K-T180 from Andy's Empire Tech

Does this capture the license plate of moving cars clearly?

That is my intention for this particular location of the property.

Is this better suited to capture the side path of a home instead?

Thank you!

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IPC-Color4K-T180 has a very narrow and 180 degree view that is good for the overview of the street or side path of home with no IR builtin in the camera. It's definitely not for license plate capture of a moving car.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um NO, not at all.

You would have to set the camera up specifically to read plates. You need the proper camera with OPTICAL zoom for the distance you are covering and the angle to get plates.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

bozoreefer

n3wb
Reaction score
Um NO, not at all.

You would have to set the camera up specifically to read plates. You need the proper camera with OPTICAL zoom for the distance you are covering and the angle to get plates.

Regarding plates, keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.
I saw this post after you responded with the gold info from my other post!

Thank you so much!

This is another rabbit hole I'll go down after I read the info you sent me from the other thread!