IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 test LPR video / critique please

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I installed my first LPR designated cam. This is at my church. I have come to realize that Delaware (USA) plates are very difficult to capture. First of all there is no enforcement of the "No covers over plates" law. 2nd, our plates are flat (not textured numbers) and blue and gold. Very little contrast. 3rd they very in reflectivity vastly. As you will see I have 2 DE plates and 1 MD plate on my truck as a test vehicle. I will monitor traffic and make adjustments accordingly. Figured I could get some advice from you guys are far as tweaking, as well as provide some feedback for the camera. Camera came from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and came FAST. I also was very impressed with the waterproof junction box he sold me with it. Nice rubber seals, all hardware included etc.

PS. Like an idiot I did not take a picture of cam settings and this system is on an isolated network (no internet). I know Night mode is full manual, custom range shutter, 3 mS, iris was around 30 if I remember right. I can get pics another day if anybody really wants to know. Advice and recomendations encouraged. I am considering aiming the cam down just slightly.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
How does it do in the day? I'm having problems with the focus shift from Night-Day.....

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Daytime is childsplay compared to night lol. I read about your focus shift issue and I observed the same thing. Since I am using Blue Iris I just have the Dahua script running on the Blue Iris server so that fixed the issue for me. Here are some samples mostly from today as well as the exposure settings. Daytime is pretty much set to auto I think.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Might need to add an ir illuminator off angle and lower the shutter.

Note to self: to reduce tracking by various entities, set up a Delaware corporation, and get deleware fleet license plates.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Might need to add an ir illuminator off angle and lower the shutter.

Note to self: to reduce tracking by various entities, set up a Delaware corporation, and get deleware fleet license plates.
Would the off angle IR help with the plates that are dusty and are overexposed? I get a few plates that when dirty just come out white. Wipe off the plate and you can read it at night just fine.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk