IPC-T54IR-AS vs 5442-AS Housing/Mounting Differences

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all,

So the last time I purchased cameras was in 2022. I bought a handful of the 5442 s2 cameras from Empire Tech on Amazon. They have the 3 piece housings with the security torx set screw. I thought these housings were great. Easy to install, small footprint, sleek, and when you lock the set screw down the camera ball really locks up and can't be moved.

I just purchased the updated version, the IPC-T54IR-AS. These cameras undoubtedly have better video performance, but I am completely disappointed in the housing/mounting. It uses the mounting plate with the little lever like the cheap amcrest cameras I have, and then has a Phillips screw in the back to 'lock' the camera. All it does is lock the camera to the mounting plate, it does not lock the eye ball, so I can still move the eyeball after I 'lock' the screw in. It's also bulkier and has that dumb little tab sticking out the front. It just seems like an overall worse/overcomplicated design.

Does anybody know why this was changed? In my opinion, these are harder to install and I see 0 advantages to the new housing/mounting.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

So the last time I purchased cameras was in 2022. I bought a handful of the 5442 s2 cameras from Empire Tech on Amazon. They have the 3 piece housings with the security torx set screw. I thought these housings were great. Easy to install, small footprint, sleek, and when you lock the set screw down the camera ball really locks up and can't be moved.

I just purchased the updated version, the IPC-T54IR-AS. These cameras undoubtedly have better video performance, but I am completely disappointed in the housing/mounting. It uses the mounting plate with the little lever like the cheap amcrest cameras I have, and then has a Phillips screw in the back to 'lock' the camera. All it does is lock the camera to the mounting plate, it does not lock the eye ball, so I can still move the eyeball after I 'lock' the screw in. It's also bulkier and has that dumb little tab sticking out the front. It just seems like an overall worse/overcomplicated design.

Does anybody know why this was changed? In my opinion, these are harder to install and I see 0 advantages to the new housing/mounting.
I have an Amcrest that sounds like it mounts like yours (little tab, etc.) and I agree.....it's mickey-mouse.
I suggest you copy and paste this post in the Empire Tech forum, if those were also purchased from Andy. :cool:

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest that sounds like it mounts like yours (little tab, etc.) and I agree.....it's mickey-mouse.
I suggest you copy and paste this post in the Empire Tech forum, if those were also purchased from Andy. :cool:

I'll cross post there. I've attached some pictures as well.

Yes, mickey mouse is a perfect way to describe it. Is there any way to get my hands on the old mounts?

Attachments

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder if the new 541R eyeball would work with the old 5442 mounting? It would have to be the exact same size.
I just tried. It seems as if the new ball is too loose in the old mount, even though it seems about 1mm larger in diameter.

To better show my confusion, here are the mounts/housings.

On the left is the old style. It has the baseplate, the housing, and the set screw. 3 parts.

On the right is the new style. There are 3 screws, of two different types, a small metal clamp, the mounting plate, which has a pin, lever, and spring in it, a secondary mounting plate, the housing, and a cover ring. A total of 11 parts.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Any clown can walk past those amcrest 1157EW's and redirect them......what the fuck were they ( not) thinking?
Post Covid inflation....couldn't afford the old Steel/Torx housing maybe? those fuckers really lock in....

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any clown can walk past those amcrest 1157EW's and redirect them......what the fuck were they ( not) thinking?
Post Covid inflation....couldn't afford the old Steel/Torx housing maybe? those fuckers really lock in....
What are you talking ?
The new mount is made like the old one of aluminium. We had this discussion already in the S3 thread.
THIS IS NOT A PLASTIC MOUNT LIKE YOUR AMCREST CHEAP VERSION.

The new mount is easier to handle when combined with pfa130e

Also the ball is not lose with the new mount.

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are you talking ?
The new mount is made like the old one of aluminium. We had this discussion already in the S3 thread.
THIS IS NOT A PLASTIC MOUNT LIKE YOUR AMCREST CHEAP VERSION.

The new mount is easier to handle when combined with pfa130e

Also the ball is not lose with the new mount.
I can crank the lock screw all the way down and still move the ball. It's stiff, but easily movable.

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this doesn't really solve the issue, but purchase the Varifocal version of the camera instead.
It still comes with the "old" style mount.
I agree, the new mount on the fixed lense version, sucks stagnant pond water.

@EMPIRETECANDY
Isn't the varifocal still the s2 version? The new camera balls won't fit in my old style housing, so unless they updated the old style housing for the new camera balls I don't think it would fit.

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Isn't the varifocal still the s2 version? The new camera balls won't fit in my old style housing, so unless they updated the old style housing for the new camera balls I don't think it would fit.
The varifocal is also an s3. (T54IR-ZE-S3) I have several of both that and the fixed lens versions. I find the new mount easier to mount, as you can attach the plate first (without camera dangling and cables dangling), then just snap it in and secure the screw to tighten it. (assuming you are mounting to a wall without a box). For me, no big issue.

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The varifocal is also an s3. (T54IR-ZE-S3) I have several of both that and the fixed lens versions. I find the new mount easier to mount, as you can attach the plate first (without camera dangling and cables dangling), then just snap it in and secure the screw to tighten it. (assuming you are mounting to a wall without a box). For me, no big issue.
Just curious on why the camera is dangling when you install it? I take the camera housing completely off and attach the bottom plate. Then I just put the eyeball in the housing, connect the eyeball, and put the housing to the base and tighten the screw.

I guess if you had to put the power through the hole on the side of the base, vs through the back.

So the varifocal uses the old eyeball and housing, with the new internals?