IPC-T54IR-AS vs 5442-AS Housing/Mounting Differences

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all,

So the last time I purchased cameras was in 2022. I bought a handful of the 5442 s2 cameras from Empire Tech on Amazon. They have the 3 piece housings with the security torx set screw. I thought these housings were great. Easy to install, small footprint, sleek, and when you lock the set screw down the camera ball really locks up and can't be moved.

I just purchased the updated version, the IPC-T54IR-AS. These cameras undoubtedly have better video performance, but I am completely disappointed in the housing/mounting. It uses the mounting plate with the little lever like the cheap amcrest cameras I have, and then has a Phillips screw in the back to 'lock' the camera. All it does is lock the camera to the mounting plate, it does not lock the eye ball, so I can still move the eyeball after I 'lock' the screw in. It's also bulkier and has that dumb little tab sticking out the front. It just seems like an overall worse/overcomplicated design.

Does anybody know why this was changed? In my opinion, these are harder to install and I see 0 advantages to the new housing/mounting.

I posted this in the Dahua forum and it was recommended I post it over here as well. If there is a way I can get some of the old style mounts/housings, please let me know.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe delete this thread since another of the same is active?

Tony must have had a Biden moment to suggest you spam the forum with multiple threads of same thing :p

CCTVThomas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You probably bought to wrong camera.
You should have bought T54IR-ZE-S3 that has the same form factor as the T5442T

Krieger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe he wanted the fixed focal length, not vari-focal, and for $33 less.....:idk:
I think the varifocal has a narrower fov than the 2.8mm too, right? Maybe I should have bought the varifocal, but I was just looking for fixed focal length cameras.