IPC-T5842T-ZE-S2 longevity/durability

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys, I see there’s a few of these for sale in the classified section. I also see the have less RAM and ROM than the S3 version. Typically, do these have a pretty good lifespan or are they less durable because of the less memory?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The lifespan for that model would be comparable to the 5442 series.

Just be sure you have enough light for them as it is double the MP on the same size sensor as the 5442.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely. The 8mp on a 1.8 concerned me. If I buy one, I’ll be buying an ir emitter or two as well. My concern was that the less memory translated into a harder working unit with lesser life expectancy? BI handles motion and I’d rely on the cam for ivs obviously. Thanks Wittaj!

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice. I was hoping it was something like that, that would probably not be of much use for my application. Trying to have my ducks in a row if I come across a deal.

Reaction score
Main difference between old 5442/5842 and those new version with -s3 suffix is a new SOC.
SOC is a chipset with CPU/GPU/ISP/NPU (all processors) in one chip..

Old version was construction from 2019 and had underpowered SOC.
New version is from 2023 and have much better SOC with 2 generations more modern ISP (image signal processor) and much powerful CPU/GPU/NPU.

Old version is obsolete from 2023.. No new features and no guaranty of new firmware releases..
New version have a much better image quality (especially at night) and a lot of not used computing power - so Dahua after one year on market added many new features (animal detection, long distance mode, AcuPick 2.0 with human look attributes etc)...

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Do you believe that the S2 version would be suitable as a spotter cam with the given underpowered SOC?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Members of this forum have been using the S2 version since what 2019 and were blown away by it then up until the new S3 came out.

And many of us are not running out at replacing the S2 for the S3 version.

If you can get a good deal on an older camera, it will be fine. All of my spotter cams are the older model.

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Do you believe that the S2 version would be suitable as a spotter cam with the given underpowered SOC?
If there is a good street / garden / outside light - yes...
old 5442 was best performer before 5442-s3 come..

question what price you will got for that 5442..
new 5442-s3 costs 150/180 USD (fixed/varifocal) in Andy shop...