is a anyone using dahua camera built-in nvr

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Chinese hikvision with a firmware that does not record to nas. I can't update because I do not want to brick the camera

I am looking at the dahua 4mp dome. I would like to use the builtin firmware to record to nas. Is anyone using this feature and how do you like it?

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well since there were so many great replies, I will reply in case anyone in the future is curious.
I bought the IPC-HDW4421C from ali express.

My current setup is a HIK 2032 which I have recording to NAS. From the cameras interface, I am able to login to the camera and access recorded files and play them back. HIK makes this very convenient. This is a major plus when I am not connected to my LAN. I can access the camera and view/download footage remotely.

DAHUA does not enable playback from the cameras interface. Apparently, if you buy one with builtin sd card slot, the camera has a playback tab. This is a very inconvenient. I can record to NAS or ftp but playback is not an option in the cameras interface. Big bummer.

So unless you are using third party surveillance software, this camera is not a good choice.

Hikvision firmware is a great option for people not running surveillance software.

Last edited by a moderator:

randyth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well since there were so many great replies, I will reply in case anyone in the future is curious.
I bought the IPC-HDW4421C from ali express.

My current setup is a HIK 2032 which I have recording to NAS. From the cameras interface, I am able to login to the camera and access recorded files and play them back. HIK makes this very convenient. This is a major plus when I am not connected to my LAN. I can access the camera and view/download footage remotely.

DAHUA does not enable playback from the cameras interface. Apparently, if you buy one with builtin sd card slot, the camera has a playback tab. This is a very inconvenient. I can record to NAS or ftp but playback is not an option in the cameras interface. Big bummer.

So unless you are using third party surveillance software, this camera is not a good choice.

Hikvision firmware is a great option for people not running surveillance software.

Can't you just directly login to the NAS (eg through FTP) and stream the video files?
This is ofcourse after exposing the NAS to the outside world (just as you did with the camera interface for login without being connected to the LAN).

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea I could probably do that. However hikvisions playback interface is well thought out and far superior. I will be selling this dahua and getting more hiks. Even with their hacked chinese firmware, it's worth it

hal9000

n3wb
Reaction score
However hikvisions playback interface is well thought out and far superior.
It's too bad you couldn't try the Dahua playback interface, the dome version of the Dahua 4MP you were looking at initially has the playback tab. I can't compare with the Hikvision playback because the Hik died after only a couple of months. I use a NAS with Surveillance Station 7, it's free for two cameras and can be accessed remotely. In any case you'll certainly make the right choice by sticking to a single brand if you rely on the built-in firmware.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Couldn't you just use smart PSS and record the camera onto your NAS and use smart pss to playback? Smart PSS has a PC-NVR and it's free software.

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's too bad you couldn't try the Dahua playback interface, the dome version of the Dahua 4MP you were looking at initially has the playback tab. I can't compare with the Hikvision playback because the Hik died after only a couple of months. I use a NAS with Surveillance Station 7, it's free for two cameras and can be accessed remotely. In any case you'll certainly make the right choice by sticking to a single brand if you rely on the built-in firmware.
Can you tell me the model number of the dome version you are referring to? The model I have is a dome version, but not with a glass dome.
I was eyeing up synology equipment and love the idea. I dont love that each camera after the 2nd one is $50.
I would have stuck with hik, but I was hoping these had better low light performance

Couldn't you just use smart PSS and record the camera onto your NAS and use smart pss to playback? Smart PSS has a PC-NVR and it's free software.
I dont know, I have not used the smart pss. I guess I could give it a try and if I use multiple DAHUAS it would be nice to have everything in one place.

hal9000

n3wb
Reaction score
IPC-HDBW4421R-AS (SD, audio). The type with no transparent dome like the IPC-HDBW4421C is a turret. The Playback tab on the 4421R-AS only seems to be able to play from the SD card so it may not have worked for you.