Is it possible to install a Foscam on a Dahua NVR 4208

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i just bought a Dahua 4208 NVR with 8 POE ports.
I'm already having 4 Dahua camera's and one Foscam 1080 p cam in my livingroom.
Is it possible to connect the POE less Foscam to the Dahua NVR?

Thanks for the help!

Greetings,Remon

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

there is absolutely no reason why it should not work, as long as your FOSCAM cam is either auto-detected by the NVR, of you configure it as ONVIF device.

I suggest the following procedure
  • connect your first POE Dahua cam
  • let your NVR search for and autoconfigure the camera (ip address)
  • note down the ip address it received
  • if your foscam is in fixed IP, change it to DHCP - OR - change the IP address manually to something in the range of the Dahua cam (!not preferred!)
  • connect the foscam to a free POE port
  • let the NVR search for the foscam. Does it find it? Good!
  • if it doesn't find it, you have to add it manually: press on the + on a channel, choose Foscam from the list - does this work? Good! If it doesn't work, choose ONVIF and try by adding.

If you are unsure, use ONVIF device manager to query your foscam camera to find all the required settings.

Happy Camming!
CC

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

there is absolutely no reason why it should not work, as long as your FOSCAM cam is either auto-detected by the NVR, of you configure it as ONVIF device.

I suggest the following procedure
  • connect your first POE Dahua cam
  • let your NVR search for and autoconfigure the camera (ip address)
  • note down the ip address it received
  • if your foscam is in fixed IP, change it to DHCP - OR - change the IP address manually to something in the range of the Dahua cam (!not preferred!)
  • connect the foscam to a free POE port
  • let the NVR search for the foscam. Does it find it? Good!
  • if it doesn't find it, you have to add it manually: press on the + on a channel, choose Foscam from the list - does this work? Good! If it doesn't work, choose ONVIF and try by adding.

If you are unsure, use ONVIF device manager to query your foscam camera to find all the required settings.

Happy Camming!
CC
Great! Thanks for the fast reply.
Can it harm the Foscam because it’s got a seperate power supply?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the fast reply.
Can it harm the Foscam because it’s got a seperate power supply?
Well, if the Dahua NVR follows POE "standards", it should not damage it:

I quote from the internetz:
"PoE Detection occurs like this "In order to avoid damage to non-PoE devices, a key component of the 802.3af PoE standard is detection. PSEs must be able to detect the presence of a PoE-enabled device before sending power, and must be able to detect when the powered device is no longer present and remove power. To achieve accurate detection, a low-level detection current is sent from the PSE through the cable and the response is analyzed to determine if a compliant device is attached."

But I cannot guarantee your Dahua does that properly. You can try to plugin your laptop and see if that blows up. That might be more expensive than your foscam.

If you are unsure, then connect the foscam through your regular network (switch/router) and let the NVR talk to the foscam on your "internal" LAN (eg 192.168.x.x) instead on the POE LAN (eg 10.x.x.x)

Good luck!
CC

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great
Well, if the Dahua NVR follows POE "standards", it should not damage it:

I quote from the internetz:
"PoE Detection occurs like this "In order to avoid damage to non-PoE devices, a key component of the 802.3af PoE standard is detection. PSEs must be able to detect the presence of a PoE-enabled device before sending power, and must be able to detect when the powered device is no longer present and remove power. To achieve accurate detection, a low-level detection current is sent from the PSE through the cable and the response is analyzed to determine if a compliant device is attached."

But I cannot guarantee your Dahua does that properly. You can try to plugin your laptop and see if that blows up. That might be more expensive than your foscam.

If you are unsure, then connect the foscam through your regular network (switch/router) and let the NVR talk to the foscam on your "internal" LAN (eg 192.168.x.x) instead on the POE LAN (eg 10.x.x.x)

Good luck!
CC
Great and thanks for the help.
I’ll see it in a few weeks when the NVR will be deleverd

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No.
As long as the Ethernet cable is wired T-568B (preferred) or T-568A on both ends, a non-POE camera cannot negotiate with a 802.3af-conforming POE NVR (or POE injector or POE switch) and cause it to supply power anyway.
It's wired 568B