Is it worth getting an outdoor camera instead of a partly hidden indoor camera facing outwards?

candys

n3wb
Reaction score
Wondering if it's more effective to have one outside. I live on a lower floor and have my camera facing the balcony area, just in case. Due to the thickness of the windows (I'm assuming and the fact that IR lighting from the camera at night doesn't really work through windows, I normally shut that function off. Luckily the cameras I have are mid to high range, decided to splurge on a couple just for the sake of security and all.
Is it worth mounting a camera on the exterior, this way I can properly see outside, have the motion sense work better or just continue to use my indoor camera facing outwards, especially since it's subtle and partly effective?
I also should probably just have a TF card put into the camera, we don't often have issues in the building anymore, at least not this month, but some thefts of bikes, cars and some other shit happens at the back unfortunately. Shit happens, you get used to it but doesn't mean being too alert is good.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are allowed to mount it outside, that is definitely the best option. Trying to point a camera through glass is going to be problematic. It's super easy to get glare, the focus might not work correctly, IR will be reflected back and it's usefulness greatly limited, etc. Obviously there are times where you cannot mount one outside (don't own the building, local restrictions, etc) and mounting it inside is better than nothing. But I would always want to mount it outside when possible. It's also amazing at how accepting people are of outside cameras now, so most of the time you can install them and not draw any attention to yourself.

Last edited:

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's also amazing at how accepting people are of outside cameras now, so most of the time you can install them and not draw any attention to yourself.
Especially with how small most of them are. To be honest though, there's something to be said about being obvious - I have two really big obnoxious cameras covering my driveway (and only practical entrance to the property), where I could have gotten much smaller ones to do the same job. They do work wonderfully of course, but being large they're immediately obvious and act as a deterrent. I've caught a few people coming down the driveway who when they see the cameras, immediately turn around, even pointing at them - so far only solicitors coming after permitted hours and not actual crime, but even that's still worth it to me.

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Especially with how small most of them are. To be honest though, there's something to be said about being obvious - I have two really big obnoxious cameras covering my driveway (and only practical entrance to the property), where I could have gotten much smaller ones to do the same job. They do work wonderfully of course, but being large they're immediately obvious and act as a deterrent. I've caught a few people coming down the driveway who when they see the cameras, immediately turn around, even pointing at them - so far only solicitors coming after permitted hours and not actual crime, but even that's still worth it to me.
I completely agree with this. Having cameras mounted at conspicuous places can act as a great deterrence. People tend to behave when they think someone is watching, unless you're in LA or San Francisco where robbers just get released. lol.