Is PTZ camera ideal for this location?

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After lot of reading and recommendations from the super and helpful group members I was able to test, install my first Dahua camera and I am super happy. There is some room for optimization but so far looks good.

I am back here to install my second camera, I was wondering if I can install a PTZ camera on the top corner where the red mark is such that I can monitor by backyard and the alley on the side. Attached is a picture for reference.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but be careful about the amount of zoom as the field of view is so tight to begin with. I would try to get a 4 to under 12x zoom in that location.

I moved a PTZ from the front to the back that was 20x zoom and zoomed all the way out, all I can see is one "block" of the concrete patio. I am on a tiny lot and cannot see the whole backyard zoomed out. Zoomed in I can see a blade of grass at the back of my property LOL. I would have been ticked if I had purchased that for the backyard, but I upgraded the front PTZ, so moved this to the back.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be more aware of the mm zoom as a 10x zoom could be 2.8mm - 28mm or 10mm - 100mm etc.... you'd want a wide angle (2.8 - 5mm) when fully zoomed out to see that close and wide. Other than that, your spot is a great location for a PTZ because both areas are viewable.

Reaction score
I went with a PTZ initially, and found it's actually better to use 2 vari-focal turrets instead. So, I have not only the 2 turrets, but also a PTZ that can be triggered by any one of the turrets if they detect motion. It's very effective this way as it gives not only 24/7 viewing and recording of the entire yard, but also the ability to watch an intruder a little closer should the need arise. My situation is very similiar to yours with a narrow area between a detached garage on one side, and a patio and back yard on the other. If one of the turrets picks up an intruder, it will trigger an IVS rule (intrusion or trip wire) and swing the PTZ around to the area needed. Multiple zones in the turrets can be used, giving you a 'follow' effect of the intruder. Yes, it costs more, but the coverage given is well worth it. Note the turrets are AI capable so false alarms are at a minimum, as AI has effective filtering for human or auto. My setup has not only trees, but also a great deal of steam from the furnace in the winter. The steam causes havoc with false triggering on the older turrets I originally used. The AI cams have almost completely eliminated this. To get AI in a PTZ, the pricing starts to go up a lot.

To answer your question, in my opinion a PTZ is not ideal in your situation. But, only if you need to cover the side yard enclosed by the fence. If You want to cover just the back yard, it may work out OK.

S0619212

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Be more aware of the mm zoom as a 10x zoom could be 2.8mm - 28mm or 10mm - 100mm etc.... you'd want a wide angle (2.8 - 5mm) when fully zoomed out to see that close and wide. Other than that, your spot is a great location for a PTZ because both areas are viewable.
Do you have good Dahua PTZ or any other brand for recommendation?