Is the IPC-HDW4233C good for the driveway?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to replace my Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW bullet above the garage with a turret with a MIC. I'm using BI and primary using Hikvision for most of my camera but want to try something else. Is this a decent camera? I'd like the 4mp because I want to be able to see across the street with digital zoom. Trying to keep the camera under $100 if possible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
digital zoom wont help when its just a bunch of noise; 4MP Cameras from anyone would be terrible on a Driveway.. I cant recommend 4MP outside for anything other than dedicate plate reading, not with the existing technologies.

you should just increase your budget and get a Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks, this is what I have now, thinking about moving this camera to the side of the house. I'm actually OK with the quality of the HIK, the starlight 2mp is going to be better?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dramatically better, you will be stunned how much more detail you have at night.. also looks like you could use a bit more zoom to eek out those extra pixels and detail at your cardoors.

The 3MP 4300S Dahua I directly compared the Starlight with on the first page should perform very similarly to your 3MP Hikvision.. despite being different manufacturers they still have the same image sensor inside.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the zoom is not for zooming in out on targets; its for setting the FOV to whats best for the environment instead of being stuck with whatever fixed lens you got.

that camera you linked is a pice of trash Chinese model that has nothing Starlight in it what so ever; lies, lies, and a bunch of bullshit.. you have to be at 0.009 Lux or less in Color with the Optics it comes with for Dahua to label it a Starlight

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that's good to know.... is there a cheaper alternative w/o the varifocal that's a true starlight?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only $35 cheaper and its got an aperture 2.4x smaller than the Varifocal so its only half as capable.. You should really stop and read the review, cuz clearly you've yet to take advantage of anything Ive previously wrote and your just making me repeat my self.