Is there a way to backup actual "clips" only?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

At the moment, without going to great detail of my setup, I have the following:

1. OS - SSD
2. Data - 4TB USB external drive
3. NAS - 8TB "cctv_storage"

As it stands, all cameras record to the data drive, and once filled, it "moves" to the NAS drive, this all works great. However, I want to make it a little more advanced. Essentially, I want to only move "clips" where motion was triggered to the NAS... instead of ALL videos.

So essentially, the data drive fills up with continuous recordings as always, but when the drive gets filled, it works out, is this a clip (motion) or just "video".. if just "video" then it gets 'deleted', if it's a "clip" then move to the NAS.

Is this possible, if so, how would I do it?

Thank you

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

At the moment, without going to great detail of my setup, I have the following:

1. OS - SSD
2. Data - 4TB USB external drive
3. NAS - 8TB "cctv_storage"

As it stands, all cameras record to the data drive, and once filled, it "moves" to the NAS drive, this all works great. However, I want to make it a little more advanced. Essentially, I want to only move "clips" where motion was triggered to the NAS... instead of ALL videos.

So essentially, the data drive fills up with continuous recordings as always, but when the drive gets filled, it works out, is this a clip (motion) or just "video".. if just "video" then it gets 'deleted', if it's a "clip" then move to the NAS.

Is this possible, if so, how would I do it?

Thank you
Motion events are simply pointers in the data base as to where in the complete file the motion even occured.
Only way you could do this is clone the camera, then set it up as a triggered cam only, and record those clips to the NAS.
Not sure why you think you need to do that tho.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a bit of terminology mix-up here. In Blue Iris, a "clip" is a video file. An "alert" is a thumbnail and a pointer to a clip + offset.

@looney2ns is spot-on. The way to back up only motion events is to do it from a cloned camera that only records when triggered, not continuously. When you clone a camera, the clone uses much less resources than the original, so this shouldn't be a big deal. You can mark the cloned camera as hidden, or use camera groups to hide your motion-recording clones.