Is there a way to preserve a day or a set of days of recordings from being "pruned"

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to "preserve" or lock a set of days from being deleted or pruned from recordings.
I know I can export recordings, but multiple cameras over multiple days seems like a lot of work. I would like to either lock them from being deleted or pruned or export en-mass the recordings from multiple cameras from multiple days.
Is there a way I can do that in BI?

Thanks,
Dan

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Use the clips list, batch select the clips of interest, then right-click to get the context menu.

Select 'Protect' to protect the items in place (but beware that the Protect flag exists ONLY in the database only and can be lost if the db is corrupted). Protected Alerts can survive a database regenerate action ONLY if they have a JPG or a DAT file. See this thread for more details.

Or select 'Move' to get a menu of options for copying the items to any folder, as well as moving the items to other Blue Iris managed folders. See this post.

Last edited:

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this information. Is there a way to backup an entire time span irrespective of clips/events. I basically want to copy off a 6 hour interval on multiple cameras and archive it.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would do it this way:
  1. Select the cam group of interest.***
  2. Disable the 'Selected cameras only' filter above the clips list.
  3. Batch select the 6-hour set of clips from the clips list (using ctrl-click on each, or shift-click on the bounding clips). See screenshot #1.
  4. Right-click on a selected item and move them to an Aux folder managed by Blue Iris.
Before doing the above, be sure to set up the Aux folder with more than sufficient size and disable its clip age pruning option

*** Tip: Blue Iris lets you create a cam group on-the-fly using its multiple-camera select feature introduced in 5.6.7. See screenshot #2. Unfortunately this does NOT result in a filtered list of items in the clips list. I've emailed Ken about this.

Screenshot #1
1718724430028.png

Screenshot #2
1718724499481.png

Last edited:

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you - will this take just the clips or the entire video between that time period? I need the entire video between time A and time B. My neighbor has accused a kid of stealing something from her yard, the video proves otherwise, but she is the type that will make accusations for years. I need to take the entire video (not just the clips or events) and archive it for safe keeping. I did one camera and it created a 35 GB mp4 as a export clip on the timeline. I just thought there would be an easier method than creating a clip on the timeline.

Thanks for the help so far.
Dan

Last edited:

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
will this take just the clips or the entire video between that time period?
It should copy/move each entire *.bvr. (Mine are 1 hour long each). Make sure the clips list icon ‘All clips’ is selected (as shown in screenshot #1 in post #4).

if it was me, I’d also backup the folder with the *.bvr files of interest to a safe location.

Last edited:

dan2112

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It should copy/move each entire *.bvr. (Mine are 1 hour long each). Make sure the clips list icon ‘All clips’ is selected (as shown in screenshot #1 in post #4).

if it was me, I’d also backup the folder with the *.bvr files of interest to a safe location.
How do you change the size of the BVR file. I think mine are the default and they are about 4Gb each.
If I copy off theBVR files can I just play them later with BI?

Thanks,
Dan

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
How do you change the size of the BVR file. I think mine are the default and they are about 4Gb each.
You could reduce the main stream's bitrate (probably not desirable). The best way to significantly reduce BVR size is to record dual stream.

Yes

BTW, I recall this suggestion for non-BI users wanting to view BVR files -- simply download the evaluation version of Blue Iris and use it to playback BVRs natively.

Last edited: