Is this rig enough for BI+AI+HomeAssistant?

Yaku

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, please keep in mind that I'm totally new here and never used Blue Iris before.

Have been using a mix of 8 Wyze cameras for alerts and to spy my dogs, 5 Reolink Cameras+DVR for security/recording, Smart home with a mix of SmartThings/Konnected/Alexa and a bunch of devices of different brands and feel that it's time to upgrade to something more robust.
Cannot complain about what I currently have, they all have been doing what they are supposed to do but, given that I have a PC available, I want to step UP to Blue Iris with Code project.AI and Home Assistant, all running on the same PC; and for that I have my old Gaming PC.

This is the hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Skylake with a Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200
OS HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive SATA
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4 GB Double Dissipation Video Card
Storage: Still have some 1 and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD's that I know are not ideal but can be used (I guess).

Now the question. Is this enough?
I read somewhere that Nvidia video card is a good idea, is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assume you already read this: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

Best to stick to Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs but having video card is less important now especially with AI on the cameras improving by leaps and bounds. Ram and OS HD look fine but definitely pick up a WD purple or Seagate Skyhawk for your storage drive.

You can use this to calculate how large a storage drive you'll need: Calculating Required Hard Drive Size