Is this switch overkill??

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WS-C3750-48PS-S is not a gigabyte switch, only 10/100

m123

n3wb
Reaction score
Just be aware that the fans are very loud in a switch of that caliber. May or may not be an issue for you.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fans may be replaceable. Yes, the used switches on eBay are a great value. Hit the link in my signature for a PoE Switch Suggestion list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely get one with gigabit ports. Cameras individually don't need gigabit speed, but the streams add up quickly if you're pushing them all out a 100 Mbps interface, especially if that interface is shared with other traffic. I'm using a switch that has 24 PoE ports at 100 Mbps speed, plus it has 4 gigabit RJ45 ports and 2 gigabit SFP ports. That was a pretty common configuration a couple years ago when I bought mine, and might be a little cheaper than an all-gigabit switch if that works for you.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I went with a Cisco SF300-24P with 4 gigabit ports (28 ports total). One thing I recommend looking at is the power consumption of whatever you choose because some of the older switches are power hogs. I replaced the two little fighter-jet fans. I agree these used business switches can be an incredible value.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are you guys using that require so many poe ports?

CamK76

n3wb
Reaction score
Noise isn't really going to be an issue, the switch will be in a comms cabinet in the study, power consumption may be though, thanks for the heads up on that. Also the idea of 24+4 seems like a good one. Found a Linksys that does just that at a pretty good price.

Not so much that I need 24 PoE ports, just that I need a 24 port switch to replace the one I'm currently using. Put if it is 24 PoE ports then it future proofs my setup a bit.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using the 28 port switch for the cameras and home network. The camera system uses half of the ports. Then after adding the internet connection, roku, tivo, wifi access point, and a few computers, there are not very many ports left. Since I'll never use more than half of the POE capacity of the switch, I was comfortable reducing the airflow when replacing the fans. The high end switches have some nice added features. Two examples are I can see how much power each poe device is drawing, and one port can be mapped to another to sniff it for debugging.