ISC West 2014 Review

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I attended ISC West and it's as hectic and crowded as ever. What interesting from prior shows is this one was mostly about surveillance cameras. Not as many home automation, access control and physical security vendors as I previously remember.

A few vendors finally took notice of Ultra-HD or what many geeks like me call 4K which is 4X 1080P, or 8MP. Bosch showed off their camera on a large 4K TV and it looked amazing. Can't tell you what it looks like at night, but the detail was great. Axis too had a display of their 4K camera, their P14 series that also looked very good, at least at trade show floor lighting which is very bright.

ACTi showed off their new cameras that now sport a motorized lens for focal length and focus adjustment. I love this because you can tweak focus on a dome without removing the dome cover, without setting up a ladder and trying to focus in sunlight. They didn't have pricing, but talking to them, they expect this to be about a $50-70 premium over their non-motorized domes. They have a 6MP super low light bullet coming out soon that should be awesome, the E49. They claim this will have better low light performance than their current 1080P offerings. It's a unique looking bullet camera.

Bosch also showed off their new low light camera, some of the best in the business and had a display comparing their 5MP camera in low light to brand to other brands that I'll just say start with the letter A and was amazed of the clarity, even in color. I'm going to try and get one or 2 of these for a review and they agreed, so I got my fingers crossed.

Samsung showed off it's mobile solution designed for buses. It uses an SDI DVR and SDI cameras but I get it, it's a bus, it has 12V, it's ideal for SDI. They also showed off it's low light WiseNet III cameras. They too agreed to get me cameras to review, got another set of fingers crossed.

Flir showed off it's new thermal image IP camera for $599 (analog for $499). Very cool. Imagine seeing if someone is hiding in the bushes in total darkness.

Going through the Global Expo, I did find some cool products. A very tiny 4 port PoE injector that is gigabit and inexpensive with a 5th port to attach to your network. Also a nice set of illuminators that look like Raytec and Axton with massive heat sinks. I'll try to get them soon to try out. Also will be trying out a new low cost NVR with PoE with it's 1080P camera that should retail for half of what the Costco bundle sells for.

Dahua has some big changes. They now have a series of cameras that are square vs. cylindrical. Very cool looking and sets them apart visually from others. Also, talked to them about their doorbell cameras and having a smartphone app to go with it. The software may be a few months ago. They now offer a much wider range of PTZ cameras which I think is their strong point. Look forward to reviewing those. They are opening an RMA center in the U.S. this year which shows their commitment to the U.S. market and are actually allowing the Dahua brand now in the U.S. What is cool is in a few months they expect to have their NVRs and IP cameras be cloud enabled for those that are router challenged, you know who you are.

Hikvision had some new cameras too, a covert camera, similar to the Axis covert camera that is 1MP and also a hemispheric camera that had very cool software with it that works inside of IVMS4200. I see them further distinguishing themselves from their OEM's, different looks and shapes on their OEM products including different looking bullets and turret/eyeball cameras where more black is being used. Noticed this at the LTS booth and i'm sure within a year, you may not be able to ID an OEM camera as a Hikvision.

Last edited:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very kool, thank you for the review. Any pics?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These two caught my eye. This is the new ACTi E48 & E49. Interesting shape. The one I'm waiting for is the 6MP E49, supposed to be their best low light sensor.

Also of interest is the Dahua PTZs from their most expensive on the left, to their lowest priced PTZ on the right. The 12X is now their sweet spot, $529 shipped. I'm looking forward to getting their new 30X IR PTZ.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have that 2mp 30x all the way on the left on my terrace right now. Thats the one you just saw the video from. I'm selling it if your interested.