Issue with BI / Amcrest IP5M Camera

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So for a brief background, not an expert, but I've had BI for ~7-8 years, I have 12 cameras on my system, from 3-4 different manufactures, so I have some level of knowledge, though by far an expert.

I have 1 Amcrest camera, an IP5M and I cannot get it in Blue Iris. it comes and goes, mostly its showing offline though sometimes its online. I know its not the wiring or the camera itself because it is always 100% on/available on the Amcrest app or even via my Control4 app. So two other apps get the feed fine.

Right now in BI it says offline and has a still photo from yesterday ~30 hours ago based on the time stamp.

I use the find/inspect with BI and it picks the generic instance, I know the user name/password are correct. I have lowered the FPS to a minimal # (I think the latest was 5 or something) and in the camera itself I have the resolution at 1280x720 so very low for a 5MP camera.

What gives? What am I missing? Today out of frustration I tried to just create a new camera using all the same info (IP, user name/password, etc) and it didn't work either. But again, my Amcrest and C4 apps work.

Last edited:

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
be certain the power supply provides enough current. If you're using a non-Amcrest power cube, tell us the amp rating.
I am using an older Unifi PoE injector for an AP I am not using anymore. It says GP-H480-050G ; POE 48-24w-G ; Input 100-240V - 50/60Hz, Max 0.75A ; Output 48V 0.5A

Again the camera works absolutely fine with the Amcrest app, camera seems online whenever I check, I get snapshots in Control4 (not live feed) and I get more drops than online access in Blue Iris

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not certain which exact model you may have, but I was never able to get PoE working with the IP4M series of cameras.
again I admit I am no expert, but whenever I use the Amcrest app, I can see the live feed. In Blue Iris after X period of time (usually 2-3 days) it just says no signal. Would that be a PoE thing because the camera is working on the Amcrest app when the BI App says no signal

Regardless, I found a spare TrendNet Poe+ Gigabit Injector in my basement. So I'll use that instead for a few days and see what happens as I'll check BI 2-3x a day. Some Unifi devices are "passive" and maybe the injector I was using was passive too. From my reading it seems like that just means it is always sending power or something but who knows; let's see how this injector works.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to be very careful when using POE from anything Ubiquity.
A lot of their POE equipment does not comply with the 802.11 poe standards, thus won't work correctly with typical cameras.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have to be very careful when using POE from anything Ubiquity.
A lot of their POE equipment does not comply with the 802.11 poe standards, thus won't work correctly with typical cameras.
Yeah I get that - but if it works with the Amcrest app, why not the Blue Iris app? that confuses me, but we'll see how this new PoE injector I use holds up.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, I have an Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM that's been rock steady with BI v5.4.7.11 (6/11/21) for over a year now. And it's actually running off a POE-powered extender.

What's the complete model number?
Same model - IP5M-T1179EW-28MM
I have a more up to date BI version, but I've upgraded 2-3x from likely where you were since the camera has been installed.

Again hoping it was just changing up the injector, if it stays up for ~3 days and doesn't fall off I'll assume that was the answer from a post above. just seems odd.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this the same cam acting up Sept of '22?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this the same cam acting up Sept of '22?

Yes - didnt want to revive a 18+ month old thread
I am between jobs now and have a few weeks of downtime so there are numerous little things around the house I am trying to fix/clean up while I can give it some attention.