Issues with PTZ5A4M-25X /w spotter cam and auto tracking

Mar 9, 2020
Maryland
I’ve been looking for a good low light medium zoom Auto Tracking PTZ to use within Blue Iris. Naturally, most people on this forum recommend Dahua PTZ cams so I recently purchased the EmpireTech PTZ5A4M-25X. This is a fantastic PTZ overall but I’m having a really difficult time getting it to perform as I would expect. The hardware is amazing but the software seems to be the challenge. My goal is to use my Color4K-T180 as a spotter and have the PTZ move to a preset where it should begin auto-tracking with the subject in view. I’ve gotten this to work to a certain extent but it’s not been very reliable. I’m having 2 issues:

1. I can’t figure out the best way to setup the spotter to have it move the PTZ to the proper preset. The spotter often forces the PTZ to move while it’s actively Auto-tracking which causes it to stop tracking. I currently have a few alert actions set up to move to 1 of 8 presets when a person is detected in one 8 zones on the spotter. This is all done within blue iris. I have the alert set to trigger when “New zones/sources only (additive). I’ve also tried “exclusive”. It also seems to be moving sporadically instead of moving the expected zone. (it might be a bit behind?) Is there a way to prevent the alert from forcing the PTZ to move while it’s actively tracking?

2. When the PTZ5A4M starts tracking it often loses tracking pretty quickly. It loses people as they walk behind cars or if they walk by a mailbox it will often focus on the mailbox and lose the person. I tried increasing the Tracking Target Ratio and it only helped a little. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that I can’t get the spotter to move the PTZ to the proper spot reliably. A 3 second dwell time before giving up on the target seems to be too short.
As far as I can tell the PTZ5A4M doesn’t have an adjustable dwell time so it gives up on tracking fairly quickly. I was also expecting much more customization with regards to Person tracking sensitivity but there are barely any options/settings for this.

I’ve read through the thread below several times but I fail to see how setting up IVS rules on the T180 will prevent the issue of the PTZ moving to a preset in the middle of tracking forcing tracking to stop.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I had better luck with my Reolink Trackmix and I’m actually considering reluctantly going back to it in spite of its significantly inferior zoom and night time image quality.

Reactions: Flintstone61
Check the cancel alerts when the preset is active box and that will override a spotter camera calling it while that preset is in operation.

1728275787806.png

Without video and screenshots of your settings, it could be anything.

Are you on default/auto settings or gave you dialed them in? Things like gamma and contrast adjustments can impact its tracking ability.

Yeah we wish an option to change dwell time existed.

Reactions: Flintstone61
Check the cancel alerts when the preset is active box and that will override a spotter camera calling it while that preset is in operation.

View attachment 204446

Without video and screens screenshots of your settings, it could be anything.

Are you on default/auto settings or gave you dialed them in? Things like gamma and contrast adjustments can impact its tracking ability.

I have that setting on for every preset other than the HOME preset but it doesn't seem to prevent it from still triggering the PTZ to move while it's actively tracking. I think that's my biggest issue. I'll try to get some screenshots of my settings.

View attachment 204446

Without video and screenshots of your settings, it could be anything.

I haven't really needed to adjust the camera settings. Most of my issues can be seen in broad daylight with a crystal clear image. I've enabled WDR (+15) but the issues I'm having with tracking don't appear to be related to things like contrast or gamma. My issues related to person detection have more to do with the person detection algorithm.

I haven't really needed to adjust the camera settings. Most of my issues can be seen in broad daylight with a crystal clear image. I've enabled WDR (+15) but the issues I'm having with tracking don't appear to be related to things like contrast or gamma. My issues related to person detection have more to do with the person detection algorithm.

You are having problems, thus showing you need to adjust settings.

You can't setting out every instance, but there are ways to get around it sticking on the mailbox. Getting off default settings is a huge start

Something as simple as having contrast 8 higher than brightness can make a big difference in whether the camera continues to follow the person or lock onto a mailbox.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far as it decided to track the lamp post. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post.