Issues with streams failing?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys, running a a Hik 7616 E2 8P NVR along with 8 Hik DS-2CD2142-FWD-IS.

Have the 7616 hooked up to a Trendnet Switch which is then hooked up to my Netgear R7000 router.

Seem to be having constant issues with streams failing/timing out on my iVMS-4500 app as well as other apps like Tinycam Pro. Doesn't matter if I have the devices hardwired to my internet (like my android box) or am using it on my phone or tablet.

I don't seem to be having any issues with video playback or when connected via a PC to the IP address directly.

Curious as to anything experienced posters think I could check to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
FWIW, I ran a continuous Ping on the IP address for several minutes ... no packet loss.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you open just one stream at a time does it have issues? most tv boxes/phones/tablets have their hardware crushed by attempting to stream more than one high quality 1080p video.. PC's tend to be much better at it w/decent Gfx capabilities.

for example my 4k AndroidTV MiBox can only hardware decode one stream at a time full quality, the older Nexus Player could not even HW Decode at full framerate and both of em when software decoding are really crappy framerate.

Have you tried loading the lower resolution sub streams?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm ... tx for the quick reply. That could be it. I'm running a box with an s905X CPU and Penta-Core ARM Mail-450 GPU, which I think could be lower than your MiBox (which of course I can't seem to find in Canada!).

I have not yet tried the lower resolution sub streams. Do I need to adjust this in the app, or via the camera's IP address using a PC? (or from the NVR webased GUI)?

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its in the app, the camera streams both main and substreams at same time.. its a different RTSP URI with a subtype specified, iirc w/tinyCam Pro it has a low quality/bandwidth option that changes from main to sub streams.. at least for my pre-defined cameras.

also make sure your pulling the stream from the NVR and not the cameras directly; the NVR can handle more load then the cameras can.. typically Cams only stream to NVR and then Apps all stream from NVR, while cams can usually only provide 3-4 requests at same time a NVR can handle dozens of em.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr. Have turned on the low bandwidth option in tinycam, didn't really help much. When you say "make sure I'm pulling the stream from the NVR", how do I do that? I.e., when I add the camera to Tinycam, I would use an IP Address of say 192.168.1.21:65001, with 192.168.1.21 being the IP address of the NVR and 65001 the port for the specific camera.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... also, not sure it is simply a streaming of multiple cameras issue. Even when I try to manage a single camera and check the status I'm getting time out/failed errors (despite the camera working just fine in iVMS). Sent an email to Alex at Tinycam, his response was a bit cryptic to me (other than "reboot the camera"):

Hi,

tinyCam uses RTSP to connect to Hikvision.
Hikvision iVMS uses Hikvision proprietary protocol.

Try to reboot your camera.

Alex.