ivs and recording settings, smart detection questions

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi all

first off thanks for the help so far, I would say im an "enthusiastic amateur ", had Blue Iris running for a good few years with some old dlink Cameras, anyway I just got a ipc-t5442t ze from Andy at Empire and im confused with the onboard camera detection. Previously I had everything detecting on BI, but want to use the camera ivs etc

so a few questions if I may;
smart motion detection says it needs video detection enabled? what's the difference between video detection and smart motion detection?
what I want is the camera to trigger bi via onvif when a car or human is detected, but not in the whole image, im only interested in people coming into my garden. I tried tripwires but doest seem to work so far? or is trip wires only for the dmss app?
do you need to do anything in the "global setup" in IVS?
I have IVS selected in the smart plan and BI is getting two types of trigger, "external" and "onvif" what's the difference?
Finally:
when I log in on my MacBook (safari) it says current audio codec not supported? is there a better one that's compatible with Mac and BI on windows? Its not totally Essential as main priorities is working in BI
cam came with 2.800.15OG004.0.R, Build Date: 2020-10-19, is that the latest?

im sure ill have more questions as I progress , but for now thanks for the knowledge

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a BI guy so will leave that to others..

SMD is an enhancement to regular MD. Enable MD, set your trigger area via the colored squares , then enable SMD which adds a layer of AI to motion detection. Human/vehicle specific

IVS is most often better than MD/SMD. You should focus on it first and leave MD/SMD disabled

Do all of this on the camera interface itself.

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not a BI guy so will leave that to others..

SMD is an enhancement to regular MD. Enable MD, set your trigger area via the colored squares , then enable SMD which adds a layer of AI to motion detection. Human/vehicle specific

IVS is most often better than MD/SMD. You should focus on it first and leave MD/SMD disabled

Ahh so smd uses the area picked under video motion. Makes sense

I assumed ivs required video motion enabled but it’s independent? I’ll give that a try thanks

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure to turn on ONVIF detection in Blue Iris to take advantage of the camera motion detection, IVS or SMD. That's on the Video tab of the camera configuration.

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it set now so bi motion detects but doesn’t alert things happen in street and camera does the human tripwire at my gate and gets pushed via bi as an “external” alert. Future note for self Onvif alert in bi is md or smd. External alert is ivs in bi

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Why doesn’t dahua put this info directly in the UI under a tool tip or something. It would go a long way if they did this for all the options.

Dr Ian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why doesn’t dahua put this info directly in the UI under a tool tip or something. It would go a long way if they did this for all the options.
For sure, my drink cameras, my netgear router gui all do this, but that’s what’s this super forum is for!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua is not "targeting" home users. They normally deal with Dahua authorized dealers and installers who have been "educated" by them. We're lucky enough to be able to get authentic Dahua cameras with International firmware and have to use the "learn by doing method" as a result.

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even the rebranded store models are the same way. So I don’t buy that excuse.