IVS Recognition

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning,

Will the IVS in a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E have enough time to run through its algorithms to be able to record and capture a license plate at about 145’? My driveway is pretty bumpy and the location is just coming out of a turn. So, cars shouldn’t be any faster that 15-20 mph. I can read the plates during daytime on a really tattered tag.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I’ll try motion detection and see what happens at that distance.
That's what I run via Blue Iris. IVS has never been reliable for me for tight FOVs. I use IVS for my driveway and the sidewalk in front of my home where the FOV is much larger.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, IVS will not work for LPR, especially at night as the algorithm needs time to see the object, run it thru its AI and decide if it needs to trigger.

So for many of us the vehicle is large and in and out of the frame in less than half a second so the AI firmware simply can't respond fast enough.

And then at night when all we see is the plate and no vehicle, the AI algorithm in the camera isn't designed for that.

You need to use motion detection.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, IVS will not work for LPR, especially at night as the algorithm needs time to see the object, run it thru its AI and decide if it needs to trigger.

So for many of us the vehicle is large and in and out of the frame in less than half a second so the AI firmware simply can't respond fast enough.

And then at night when all we see is the plate and no vehicle, the AI algorithm in the camera isn't designed for that.

You need to use motion detection.
I started using motion detecting yesterday with wind blowing bushes pretty good. I got rid of 99% false alerts using medium on the camera gui. Do you run AI like deep stack or the new one?I also used your settings for night from another thread. I didn’t drive passed the camera and no one else did with but man, that thing is dark at night lol. I understand the need to have it that way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My camera is much higher so all I really see is pavement in my field of view, so I don't have blowing bushes being an issue LOL.

I would play with motion detection just on the road and see if there is enough in tires to trigger it. But night time you would have to move the motion up.

Actually at night you could make the motion the whole image because it will only see reflective stuff and an occasional bug that flies close to the camera and reflects the IR.

Yep, and once you learn how to get plates at night, you will start laughing at all the people on Nextdoor thinking they can get plates with their Ring cameras LOL.

And why we say one camera cannot be the be all/see all and if you want to capture plates, it has to be a camera setup and dedicated just for that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have been doing LPR long before Code Project LOL. It would only be necessary to add the Code Project complexity to it if you are going to do the next step of having the AI actually read the plate and log them.

Those of us with BI are probably using BI motion as it is easier to set it up than the motion in the camera GUI and has more flexibility to knock out the false triggers than the camera basic motion detection.

And then anyone using NVR is forced to use the camera motion detection.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many of us have been doing LPR long before Code Project LOL. It would only be necessary to add the Code Project complexity to it if you are going to do the next step of having the AI actually read the plate and log them.

Those of us with BI are probably using BI motion as it is easier to set it up than the motion in the camera GUI and has more flexibility to knock out the false triggers than the camera basic motion detection.

And then anyone using NVR is forced to use the camera motion detection.
So, I’m guessing turn off onvif, set the camera motion sensitivity as high and then configure the actual sensitivity in BI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't tell BI to pull ONVIF triggers, then it doesn't matter what you have the camera motion settings doing. If you aren't using them, turn them off.

But many of us use the SD card for redundancy, so we still have some motion set up in the camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use both IVS Tripwire and MD.

During daylight the Tripwire gets 90%+ with vehicles traveling about 30mph
At night its mostly MD that catches them. I dont miss many if at all. Sure in daytime the occasional hard tropical downpour might register on MD, but its really not an issue as Tripwire works great.

At night I rarely get an false MD hits as its so damn dark at 1/2000 it cant see anything anyway other than that bright white plate and some headlights

LPR-Tripwire.jpgMDZone-LPR.jpg

I run a fairly tight FOV (at approx 100ft)
HOA Ent VPN_EntTag_main_20230522001824_@7.jpg HOA Ent_EntTag_main_20230314105853_@2.jpg

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't tell BI to pull ONVIF triggers, then it doesn't matter what you have the camera motion settings doing. If you aren't using them, turn them off.

But many of us use the SD card for redundancy, so we still have some motion set up in the camera.
I have SDs in both mine as well. I like what BigRedFish is doing. I’m only concerned about false motion alarms during the day. I’ll play with it. I know that both (either or) are doable with great results.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have SDs in both mine as well. I like what BigRedFish is doing. I’m only concerned about false motion alarms during the day. I’ll play with it. I know that both (either or) are doable with great results.
Yeah I also only have a shot of the road and part of the neighbors grass across the street. My LPR in mounted about 9 feet off the ground and angled down to catch cars at about a 100’ distance so my view is 90% road. Nothing to really blow in my FOV so wind/shade aren’t issues.

Can you zoom or tighten up the shot to remove bushes?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I get some during the day, but its not like I have it set to send me an email or push message for every vehicle, its simple to sort out on the playback timeline as the MD shows yellow and the IVS Red. IVS catches 90%+ of them during the day.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I also only have a shot of the road and part of the neighbors grass across the street. My LPR in mounted about 9 feet off the ground and angled down to catch cars at about a 100’ distance so my view is 90% road. Nothing to really blow in my FOV so wind/shade aren’t issues.

Can you zoom or tighten up the shot to remove bushes?
I can remove the majority of them. My only concern was length of time. To trigger in a tighter picture. The MD I was using with a tight box yesterday was catching the front of cars pretty quick. I’ll start there and zoom out if I need to.