IVS Rule - Intrusion Details

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Before I go an do a ton of testing to figure it out, can someone describe to me what the options are, and how they differ:

1. Appears
2. Cross
3. Inside

Here is what I think I understand:

1. Appears - Is this when someone just shows up within the perimeter of the intrusion area? How is this different than inside?
2. Cross - I think I have the best handle on this one. You can choose enter or exit, or both. Enter: When a target is detected outside the area, then crosses the perimeter. Exit: When a target is detected inside the area, then crosses the perimeter. Seems this may be a shortfall if the target was not identified prior to crossing, and then appears fully within the perimeter, but does not touch the perimeter line.
3. Inside - Seems easy enough to understand what inside means, but how is this different than appears?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think appears is inside the camera view but not inside the intrusion area you set.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have an "Inside" on any of mine. Apparently that's new and has a time factor associated with it. i.e., Not just appearing, but being inside for some given time.

Video showing here:

Your others are correct. Though I don't use them that way, conceivably I suppose someone could come through a door, drop in through a ceiling, vehicle could enter/exit through some space, etc. within an intrusion box without crossing the perimeter. Typically, I just use them as another bounding box around a larger area with other tripwires inside so if one doesn't get them then the other will. I have both checked but generally rely on cross. I guess appears also could be considered backup in the same way in case the crossing is missed.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My concerns with cross, and why I think "appear" or "inside" may work better in some cases:

I'll give two specific examples that I've encountered.

1. See image below. Now this is a tripwire rule, but I think the cross on intrusion works much the same way. You can walk up from around the front of my car in the blind spot from the column, and then step up on the porch without ever touching the perimeter line. In cases like this, you're not coming in from another Matrix-like-dimension, just hiding in places the camera can't see.

1639719871464.png

2. Let's say you set a perimeter along the edge of your property, and that perimeter is fully visible during the daytime. Detection works well for crossing. But then at night, the perimeter along the far edge of your property isn't well lit, and the detection isn't working well. You could presumably have a person walk through from that area and be inside the perimeter without the camera ever detecting that you crossed the perimeter threshold. Maybe in that case you could use appears, or inside. Or maybe just redraw a new rule for the nighttime and only include the area that is well enough lit to detect a person.

I'm wondering now if the only difference between appears and inside is the duration settings within "inside".

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My concerns with cross, and why I think "appear" or "inside" may work better in some cases:

I'll give two specific examples that I've encountered...

I'm wondering now if the only difference between appears and inside is the duration settings within "inside".
Yes, I believe so as far as the duration goes.

You don't have to pick one or the other. You can run both cross and appears (and inside I guess) together and also stack different IVS rules as you want so as I said above if one doesn't get them then the other will. I assume that they're set up in a more granular way to give more control to distinguish different zones and/or types of intrusions within the same cam view and/or to exclude some typical activity in some cases if someone wanted to do that. Otherwise, if you want to capture everything, then it doesn't hurt anything to tick all and stack things up.

Last edited: