IVS Tripwire -- Rules for Drawing

crosis

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still not getting reliable results for Humans be it with Tripwire or Intrusion. I'm using the Web 5.0 interface directly within the camera not the EmpireTech NVR.

I dont think i've seen anyone use Intrusion instead only ever using tripwire with these crazy zig zags. I presume tripwire is more reliable but what are the rules you're using? I know some will say my situation is different from yours but I'm getting nowhere. Just clue me in on the rules you're using and i'll try it out ...

For instance, must i:
  • draw zig zags in both a horizontal and vertical
  • keeps spaces between lines no greater than XX pixels
  • draw at a height where i predict the waistline or face will cross
  • leave XX many pixels before-after the line
?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I almost exclusively use intrusion. Only time I use tripwire is if I want a direction only. Most of my cameras are just one IVS rule.

The biggest mistakes are using auto/default settings for shutter, brightness, etc.; not recognizing half the object has to cross the line; and trying to do too much with the field of view.

Post screenshots of your field of view with IVS rules and we can probably identify the issues.

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree with everything Wittaj recommended; in addition, always envision an area as three-dimensional rather than two-dimensional when drawing a detection area or detection lines. Frequently I have noticed that detection areas people draw out and then post here outline where a body would stand, rather than where it would be in the physical space. You probably didn't do that, but it is a common mistake others make.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally don’t have any zig zags for any of my ivs rules. Just have boxes around areas of interest and as far as I can tell they work reliably.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @tmxv4128 above on the "3D" effect which I pointed out in posts 3-4 years ago.

I use zig zags often and have shown actual video examples of how they improve detection.
IVS-TripwireandIntrusion.jpg

That said, every scene is indeed different and nobody can explain exactly where or how to draw tripwire or Intrusion zones on YOUR scene without seeing it and understanding the 3D aspects of the lines in relationship to the targets in the scene, AS WELL AS contrast, lighting, speed of target etc...

There are 7 rules in this scene on a 4K-X camera. They each work well given a time of day and potential obstructions, so there is redundancy. If I had to guess I'd estimate I have 20 total hours over the past 6 months in refining these rules.

multi-IVS.jpg
1&2 - The first two zig-zags simply mark the area on the street and closest to the house to ID ANY target ANY direction (human/vehicle) for fast visual on the timeline
3,4,5 - Are used to trigger for vehicles ONLY traveling left to right ONLY on the street as spotters for a mini-PTZ used for LPR. Why 3? because due to neighbor parked cars, day vs night detection, one may not be able to detect at any given moment. (2 tripwires and 1 intrusion)
6,7- are Human ONLY, left to right ONLY, one near tripwire, one far Intrusion, again to act as a spotter for the PTZ for Humans ONLY during the DAY ONLY

Also see here
Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing

---------
I have another thread explaining this example in greater detail but cant find shit this morning...

Here the PTZ IVS rules are one big zig-zag and a smaller intrusion box
This demonstrates that "3D" problem.
PTZPreset1.jpg

Target is initially tracked out at about 300ft, then camera loses her due to vehicle obstruction, then re-aquires
But once back to its preset, at least one IVS line misses her as she literally "walks underneath it" and the next one picks her up
zigzag-goodcatch.jpg

View attachment HOA Rear VPN_ch1_20230329113511_20230329113611.mp4

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's another 3D example.

Why didnt the Intrusion box pick the lady up but did activate on the man?

1.jpg 2.jpg

Because she was a lot shorter and literally walked "underneath" the line...

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How lucky, was just contemplating this and came to see if I could find some info. am I understanding correctly then that - the box is the 2 dimensional area - and the zig zags fill the third dimension? At any rate, thanks all for the input. decided my knowledge has become dangerous enough for fine tuning, I hope. :lmao:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The Intrusion box is also 3 dimensional as demonstrated in the last post above. The Intrusion box missed her even though she was clearly "ahead" of the guy. But because she was shorter and the box line angles "up" she was able to slip under it and he was tall enough, and at a point where the line was "lower" to activate the box.

In that sequence the box has 5 sides and the tripwire is a single zig-zag and hasn't been tripped.

Would the Intrusion box have caught her eventually? probably, especially with the "Appear" and "Inside" attributes checked. But she's fully inside the box and no activation, instead it saw him using the "Crossed" attribute.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Truck 11.19.23.jpg

Trying to fill the area from the sidewalk down the side of the truck while eliminating the action on the street, if that is possible. This is my first attempt of this nature. Have been using BI configuration which is great, but obviously too busy. Thanks for replies, will be getting a different cam tomorrow from empire sale, varifocal turret.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 178149

Trying to fill the area from the sidewalk down the side of the truck while eliminating the action on the street, if that is possible. This is my first attempt of this nature. Have been using BI configuration which is great, but obviously too busy. Thanks for replies, will be getting a different cam tomorrow from empire sale, varifocal turret.
Yeah tripwires don't work like that LOL.

With that said, you could draw vertical tripwires that are at least the height of 7 feet tall or draw an intrusion box and tell it to trigger only on people. That will eliminate every car, but would get people walking on sidewalk or street.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah tripwires don't work like that LOL.

With that said, you could draw vertical tripwires that are at least the height of 7 feet tall or draw an intrusion box and tell it to trigger only on people. That will eliminate every car, but would get people walking on sidewalk or street.
Thank you sir, you always come to my "rescue", even if its just reading others post.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That said, every scene is indeed different and nobody can explain exactly where or how to draw tripwire or Intrusion zones on YOUR scene without seeing it and understanding the 3D aspects of the lines in relationship to the targets in the scene, AS WELL AS contrast, lighting, speed of target etc...

If I had to guess I'd estimate I have 20 total hours over the past 6 months in refining these rules.
This right here! These are better cameras and as such time needs to be spent with each one to get the optimal performance out of them.

If you spend the time, you can eliminate virtually all false triggers.

If one wants the easy route, the consumer grade Ring and Arlos and Reolink and Blink and whatever you can buy at a big box store sells just that - simplicity plug-n-play devices with very little ability to tweak settings. But that simplicity comes at the expense of usable video with motion, especially at night, as well as losing the ability to dial in trigger configurations. My neighbor got a Ring system and had me help them get it going. Like literally scan the code and draw an area and it was done. But they get false triggers all the time and there is no customization available to tweak it.

And it gets easier after playing with these for awhile.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This right here! These are better cameras and as such time needs to be spent with each one to get the optimal performance out of them.

If you spend the time, you can eliminate virtually all false triggers.

If one wants the easy route, the consumer grade Ring and Arlos and Reolink and Blink and whatever you can buy at a big box store sells just that - simplicity plug-n-play devices with very little ability to tweak settings. But that simplicity comes at the expense of usable video with motion, especially at night, as well as losing the ability to dial in trigger configurations.

And it gets easier after playing with these for awhile.
no thanks on those cameras, I currently have dahuas and lorytas, hoping to get a IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3, tried to set up a dahua and failed miserably so far. My 20 hours with this one will probably be 300 hours, very slow learner here. It only took 2 years to get it mostly right in blue iris, you are allowed to laugh. Failed the find inspect part of another post you wrote.

Set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules
(tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI
(assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab
(those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

Not to mention the parts inside the camera itself. I shall divide and conquer another time duty calls, As always thanks, I just need more reading and a lot more comprehension.

Mast3r0fN0n3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it working, just waiting a few hours/days to make sure. But my immediate tests and observances with different cam tells me it is close to being exactly what I wanted. Figured out where I went wrong first time around and got the badda bing badda boom moment:headbang:. Thank you all so much, well Texas style, yall :lol:. Sorry Witt, I am still a greedy SOB, cant have my lottery tickets :lmao:, but thank you much for all your good input on this site, you sure have helped me a lot.