Just starting to explore BI, first questions

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, just started to evaluate BI. I am impressed from the start. Got the basis up and running. I have just one IP camera for now (Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z), streaming 5FPS in H265. From a network/connectivity perspective everything is running, I can access my network and server via VPN. The official BI Android app is also working. I have a simple dedicated front-end (Gigabyte BRIX, with 8Gb RAM, i3-4010U 1.7GHz and 120Gb SSD) running Windows 10 LTSB 2016 and a Ubuntu network server with a lot of additional storage. I record 24/7 direct-to-disk (even works in the trial). I _roughly_ get 1Gb per hour of footage. I read this forum, the help file and like to learn by doing.

Couple of questions now everything is up and running. By default installation BI cuts the recording in 8hr/4Gb clips. However, as I understand, you normally wouldn't use clips, but just the timeline. In order to reduce the amounts of clips, should I increase this value to let's day 24hrs, 24Gb? Or doesn't it matter?

On storage location (as per the instructions), I save 2 or 3 days on the BRIX SDD ('New') and move it afterwards to my network server ('Stored'). Any further suggestions on this part?

Regarding the motion detection. There are a lot of options. I played with the basic settings (size, contrast, time), object detection, zones and read about the algorithm and high def setting. I like to keep things simple and not try everything at the same time. Please have a look at the area I am recording. I am not interested in all cars passing. But I am in everyone approaching the house. Is there any advice on how to start fine tuning? Should I start with the basic settings on size/contract or should I directly go with setting up zones? All I want is a alert notification on the timeline when someone is near the house. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks so far,

Ralph

Attachments