La View NVR settings issue getting it online

dcsimon43

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings,

Im installing a La View LV-N9516D6E w/ 8 Cameras

The cameras are all installed and working just fine. Im trying to get the irritating P2P to work. I have read several threads and Im just missing something.

The NVR is connected to the Modem/Router and has a good connection. I checked with my laptop and can even ping the NVR from my laptop on the network.

Frontier DSL Arris Modem/ WiFi Router

Gateway Address: 192.168.254.254 subnet: 255.255.255.0

I can that the NVR is getting an IP address from the Router

On the NVR Network Settings Screen (See Attached Pic)

DHCP is Enabled
IP Add: 192.168.254.208 Sub: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.254.254
DNS: Server 192.168.254.254

Internal NIC: 192.168.254.1

The Cameras are grabbing an IP in the 192.168.254.1 Net

I have tried to set it as a static IP and I understand I want the Cameras on a separate LAN than the Router's LAN

but im having an issue, when I try to change the IP addresses.

What is exactly the Internal NIC?

Is this the IP Address I would change to get the Cameras on a different LAN?

Thanks for any assistance as im banging my head on the wall at this point.

Chris

Attachments

Ken91025

n3wb
Reaction score
Chris,

Though your problem is not complex. There are many causes that can contribute to your result.
First, the internal NIC is your IP camera LAN address that show the IP addresses of the cameras-not the NVR IP address.
Secondly, your gateway IP address of 192.168.254.254 looks weird. Reset that router!!!!
Change your LAN IP to a lower value, thus, giving you more available host address space. Therefore, your LAN IP should be like 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.254.208. Also, your gateway should have the lowest of the IP addresses in that range. The gateway address should be 192.168.1.1. Not 254.254.
All devices IP addresses should by default be higher than the gateway.

Your NVR IP address must be higher than your LAN gateway address. So the NVR should have like 192.168.1.20. Anything higher than 1 will work-as 1 becomes the default gateway address.
Once you set your IP address to any of the DEFAULT private addresses, the router will automatically perform its magic in creating the gateway, subnet mask, and DNS assignments using DHCP. You should not make these assignments unless you are skilled in TCP/IP. MAKE SURE DHCP IS ENABLED IN THE ROUTER. DHCP was not enabled with that network address and subnet mask. That's a manual assignment.
After, the router has performed it's magic, which takes a fraction of a second-literally. Connect your NVR to the router or switch interface. The router will then assign the proper IP to the NVR. The NVR will in return populates the cameras with its internal NIC IP.

If you are planning on viewing those cameras remotely, ensure that you enable port forwarding in the router and assign the proper ports and protocol. i.e. port 8000 or 8009 with Both TCP and UDP should be forwarded.

Google class A, B, or C private IP address to determined which ones you want to use on your private LAN...They are non-routable. They cannot travel over the internet by default. Your router will do the magic to make it happen....YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE NAT.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

dcsimon43

n3wb
Reaction score
Ken,

Thanks for the help. I was having a brain fart. I didnt want to change the router settings as I found the 192.168.254.254 LAN settings odd but its a business and I didnt want to mess with them.
After reading your reply and clearing my head over the weekend with a lot of booze. I just wrote down all the settings and then changed the Router's LAN to 192.168.1.1 and the NIC address of the NVR to 192.168.2.1 now the Cameras are all over to the 2.1 LAN and the NVR is ONLINE

I had the ports forwarded already and just needed to add 8009 and set the NVR to a Static IP of 192.168.1.5

now to get the phone app to work

Attachments

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chris,

Though your problem is not complex. There are many causes that can contribute to your result.
First, the internal NIC is your IP camera LAN address that show the IP addresses of the cameras-not the NVR IP address.
Secondly, your gateway IP address of 192.168.254.254 looks weird. Reset that router!!!!
Change your LAN IP to a lower value, thus, giving you more available host address space. Therefore, your LAN IP should be like 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.254.208. Also, your gateway should have the lowest of the IP addresses in that range. The gateway address should be 192.168.1.1. Not 254.254.
All devices IP addresses should by default be higher than the gateway.

Your NVR IP address must be higher than your LAN gateway address. So the NVR should have like 192.168.1.20. Anything higher than 1 will work-as 1 becomes the default gateway address.
Once you set your IP address to any of the DEFAULT private addresses, the router will automatically perform its magic in creating the gateway, subnet mask, and DNS assignments using DHCP. You should not make these assignments unless you are skilled in TCP/IP. MAKE SURE DHCP IS ENABLED IN THE ROUTER. DHCP was not enabled with that network address and subnet mask. That's a manual assignment.
After, the router has performed it's magic, which takes a fraction of a second-literally. Connect your NVR to the router or switch interface. The router will then assign the proper IP to the NVR. The NVR will in return populates the cameras with its internal NIC IP.

If you are planning on viewing those cameras remotely, ensure that you enable port forwarding in the router and assign the proper ports and protocol. i.e. port 8000 or 8009 with Both TCP and UDP should be forwarded.

Google class A, B, or C private IP address to determined which ones you want to use on your private LAN...They are non-routable. They cannot travel over the internet by default. Your router will do the magic to make it happen....YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE NAT.

Good Luck.
DO NOT PORT FORWARD....EVER!
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
VPN Primer for Noobs | IP Cam Talk

Ken91025

n3wb
Reaction score
Ken,

Thanks for the help. I was having a brain fart. I didnt want to change the router settings as I found the 192.168.254.254 LAN settings odd but its a business and I didnt want to mess with them.
After reading your reply and clearing my head over the weekend with a lot of booze. I just wrote down all the settings and then changed the Router's LAN to 192.168.1.1 and the NIC address of the NVR to 192.168.2.1 now the Cameras are all over to the 2.1 LAN and the NVR is ONLINE

I had the ports forwarded already and just needed to add 8009 and set the NVR to a Static IP of 192.168.1.5

now to get the phone app to work