Lady Took Out Our Mailbox This Morning

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Cars damage easily now due to crumple zones.

I think the flipping effect was probably the result of a kerb or rockery the other side of the hedge there. Maybe the OP can elaborate. Wonder what made her lose control?

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How long was it in place before this?
We're pretty sure the brick mailbox was put in place when the house was built in 1983. The actual mailbox insert was fairly beat up and had some rust. We were looking at replacing it. I was actually thinking about putting my LPR cameras into the mailbox structure. They're in the front yard bushes now and the mailbox would have given a more head on view. Guess it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.

Cars damage easily now due to crumple zones.

I think the flipping effect was probably the result of a kerb or rockery the other side of the hedge there. Maybe the OP can elaborate. Wonder what made her lose control?
Yeah, she was distracted...reaching for something. You can see the black marks on the curb where the passenger side tire hit and basically climbed up the curb. Once that tire gripped, it shot to the right. They're good neighbors. Husband was very apologetic. I told him it's only a mailbox and a car that were damaged. Definitely could have been worse.

Another angle...

Attachments

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mailbox looked to be pretty solid. Almost flipped the vehicle! Hope your neighbor is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Mailbox looked to be pretty solid. Almost flipped the vehicle! Hope your neighbor is okay.

I think that was the kerb. Certainly damaged the car though but as I said above, cars are made with crumple zones to absord shock and protect occupants / pedestrians. Unfortuately that makes them peel apart in a way they never used to. That said, hitting a brick column is always going to cause substancial damage.

Last edited:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think that was the kerb. Certainly damaged the car though but as I said above, cars are made with crumple zones to absord shock and protect occupants / pedestrians. Unfortuately that makes them peel apart in a way they used to. That said, hitting a brick column is always going to cause substancial damage.
Hitting a curb at that angle would not flip a car. Clearly the impact with the bricks and mortar was the cause.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I've hit a kerb myself with a 4x4 at 20mph and jumped up like that. Impacting a flat column wouldn't do it. If there was a sloped bank either side of the mail box then that might or maybe if the impact threw some debris in front of the car and it climbed over it.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That would have been something if you had a LPR in that there mailbox. Try explaining that to insurance...

'Oh, and I'll be needing a new XYZ LPR camera, 100' of Cat5e, some conduit....'.

'Say what? She hit your m-a-i-l-b-o-x'

'I know .. would you care to see the video..of her hitting the m-a-i-l-b-o-x'??

:rofl:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I thought of that too - what better way to prove the car, especially if they were able to drive away!

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That would have been something if you had a LPR in that there mailbox. Try explaining that to insurance...

'Oh, and I'll be needing a new XYZ LPR camera, 100' of Cat5e, some conduit....'.

'Say what? She hit your m-a-i-l-b-o-x'

'I know .. would you care to see the video..of her hitting the m-a-i-l-b-o-x'??

:rofl:
Yeah, and I have Hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS dedicated LPR cameras. It wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure.