Laptops...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My dilemma:

I need a Windows based tablet/detachable laptop to replace the one that was stolen from my RV in the break-in I posted about. I use it to run only one program. It is a diesel engine monitoring app. Connects to the diagnostics port under the dash with a USB cable to the laptop.

The one that was stolen was an HP Pavillion 10 Tablet 10-N123DX that I bought in 2015. They don't make them anymore and can't find one even used or referb online.

Pics below show it mounted just over the steering wheel on a RAM Mount. Second photo shows the app running, but it is an old layout.

View attachment 172155 View attachment 172153

Anyone have any ideas on a replacement?

I have been able to find referb Chromebooks, but the app is only Windows based. Does anyone know if you can wipe a Chromebook and put Windows on it? Or even some other tablet that Windows could be loaded on?
Is it an .EXE file/program?

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EDIT: RAM is NOT upgradable apparently, so that explains the price.

This looks like a solid deal for $550:

13th gen (latest) i5 Intel CPU
Supports 4 external displays
Touch screen
Backlit keyboard
Hi res display

Probably want to throw another 8GB RAM in there, but that's cheap and easy.

Who knows what deals are to be had for Black Friday? Costco usually has an HP with decent specs on sale for ~$400, but it won't have things like a touch screen, 4x external display support, Hi res display.

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^ Price is now 799.99. Inflation?
I saw the deal on SlickDeals. Normally you've got a couple hours to a day to get that price.

There's a Lenovo X1 Nano for $600 mentioned on Slickdeals at the moment. Solid product line, just that it's an 11th gen CPU and 13.3" screen (I prefer 14", but would rather have 13.3 over 15).

My family doesn't need another laptop, but my wife's was purchased in 2015, and mine in 2019. I'll see what deals Black Friday brings. I've got a replacement battery on order for $25, so mine could go another 3 years or so.

Deal

Last edited:
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ended up getting this:

Amazon.com: VGKE B12 Detachable 2-in-1 Laptop Touchscreen Windows 11, Tablet 12.3" with Keyboard, Intel Celeron J4125 2.7GHz, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3K FHD IPS 3000x2000, 2.4G+5G WiFi, Bluetooth, Type C : Electronics

A little more than I wanted to pay. But the display is bigger than the one stolen, so I can make the gauges bigger for my aging eyes. It only needs to run one program. Should arrive tomorrow.
Maybe use wing nuts to take it off when not in use. Thieves see something visible they pounce.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. Read the reviews. The big issue seems to be that some are shipped with EU plugs for the charger. I don't care if it is 'slow to load web pages' since I will not be doing that. It only needs to run one program, and that is only a 5MB application.

Well it looks like Amazon might have had an issue with the shipment. Both this and one other item I ordered that was supposed to arrive today are now saying tomorrow or Thursday. Looks like it got lost at the warehouse in Humble.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I saw that. Read the reviews. The big issue seems to be that some are shipped with EU plugs for the charger. I don't care if it is 'slow to load web pages' since I will not be doing that. It only needs to run one program, and that is only a 5MB application.

Well it looks like Amazon might have had an issue with the shipment. Both this and one other item I ordered that was supposed to arrive today are now saying tomorrow or Thursday. Looks like it got lost at the warehouse in Humble.
Not sure what is up but I had items say they were in Humble too and showed up the same day. Amazon has been terrible on their notifications of shipments lately for us. Had one package left at our gate in the rain, no notification, only shipping soon. Package got soaked.

Reaction score
^ Wow. I generally have had good luck with AMZ. This is only the second time I got this:
1695779142777.png

The last time was last year and the package never showed up and they refunded the price. Had to buy it all over again.

A normal delivery goes to Spring from Humble, like this:

1695779258895.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Well it arrived and does have a US charging plug. It is actually quite a nice little laptop. It has WIN11 home loaded and I spent about 90 minutes going through all of the settings, mostly turning off everything. This will never be connected to the internet. Loaded the program needed and started customizing the engine display. Will finish it today or tomorrow. Next is to bring it to the coach and try it out. Hopefully it will connect to the JIB via USB and read the information from the port. I will post some picks later.

Strangest thing though. It has no serial number printed anywhere on the laptop.