Lightning strike by house

Natey2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When Cable Company #2 took over Cable Company #1 here after a decade, they came to my house and installed a kludgy looking ground wire at the cable box/junction that leads into my house.
Hopefully that will offer some protection.

Sent using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. Should be aware of that.
That almost HAS to be referring to a strike on your person....my house and some items in it have been hit and damaged 3 different times in the last 5 years, 5 times total since built in 2006.

FWIW, the older and wiser locals here highly suggest removing pine and poplar trees that are anywhere near your house (closer than 200 feet) due their moisture content being so much higher than other trees and their apparent tendency to get struck more than other trees.

About 10 years ago lightning struck a +30 year old very tall (about 60 feet) pine about 75 feet from my dad's house up the road from me. It split the tree bark from top to bottom, plowed a foot-wide, crooked furrow in the ground from the tree for about 50 feet and followed a PVC water line headed to the house for about 30 feet, stopped about 10 feet from a 250 gallon propane tank. The tree turned brown within a few months and had to be cut down before it fell toward the house or propane tank.

Lightning does some strange things...and pretty much does whatever it wants to do.