Lightning strike on G4 Doorbell

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like someone's car alarm went off on the left side of the video.
Fantastic video capture! Would love to see a close up of the aftermath of the tree.
I was on our covered front entry way watching a thunderstorm. Anyways a lightning bolt hit a palm tree maybe 200 feet away with all kinds of embers flying around. Anyways after things calmed down I went up to check out the palm tree and you could hardly tell it got struct by lightning. The palm tree is still growing strong to this day.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like someone's car alarm went off on the left side of the video.

I was on our covered front entry way watching thunderstorm. Anyways a lightning bolt hit a palm tree maybe 200 feet away with all kinds of embers flying around. Anyways after things calmed down I went up to check out the palm tree and you could hardly tell it got struct by lightning. The palm tree is still growing strong to this day.
That’s pretty impressive to learn. I’ve seen quite a few lightning videos where the same struck a small to large tree. Most of the trees were blown apart, split in the middle, to just lighting on fire.

There’s a famous video on YouTube where the ground has dozens of lines going for several hundred feet where a tree was struck. At the end of one run there’s a swing set at a children’s play ground.

All around the play structure is sand turned into molten glass?!?

If one takes a few moments to ponder what it takes to turn sand into glass. All the while the entire area is sopping wet on the GROUND?!?

Yet all that energy still wasn’t dissipated from hundreds of feet going through Earth Ground?!?

To keep going, heat up, wet soaking play sand, into molten glass???

That’s truly a WTF . . .

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yet all that energy still wasn’t dissipated from hundreds of feet going through Earth Ground?!?

To keep going, heat up, wet soaking play sand, into molten glass???

That’s truly a WTF . . .
I lived in Nags Head, NC for a while right next to Jockey's Ridge - a huge tall sand dune. Now and then lightning will strike it and do the same. An old woman next door who lived there forever had a bunch of pieces of what she called "lightning glass" that she'd collected over the years. Kind of cool. Some just a lump. Others with detailed branching kind of like an intricate coral.

Also can form what are called "fulgurites." Basically tubes of molten sand that take on various shapes:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I lived in Nags Head, NC for a while right next to Jockey's Ridge - a huge tall sand dune. Now and then lightning will strike it and do the same. An old woman next door who lived there forever had a bunch of pieces of what she called "lightning glass" that she'd collected over the years. Kind of cool. Some just a lump. Others with detailed branching kind of like an intricate coral.

Also can form what are called "fulgurites." Basically tubes of molten sand that take on various shapes:

That’s so freaking awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait....... it isn't nice clear glass like it is in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama"???? :lol: :lol::lol:

(The things we do with/for our significant others....)