Lightning strike on neighbor's house.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
We just had a storm roll through and my neighbor's house got hit by lightning. Unfortunately this is the only view I have of it, but it's still not bad.

I wish I would have had my sky cams up, but now I am worried they will be a target for lightning. The dilemma...

Camera: IPC-E35IR-AS (5MP Wedge)
Focal Length: 2.8mm

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Lightning tend to hit the tallest part of the building or house, maybe don't install the camera at the tallest part of the roof on the house should be okay.

Did you find out if your neighbor's house took any damage inside?
The issue is my house has a hipped roof and goes to a point, there is no getting around not putting it at the tallest point. Are there options for inline lightning arrestors that actually work?

2023-07-16_16-59-46_000.jpeg

They haven't said much, just that the fire department suggested getting an electrician out as soon as possible.

This is another house that was hit 5 years ago. It blew the vent off of the end of the house.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My house in Virginia took a hit
Destroyed a few things in the house.
it was cool to study its path
it hit the back corner
traveled along the metal fascia to the gutter that the downspout outlet was buried
popped up out of the ground where it blew a 3' diameter hole
into a birdhouse i had nailed to a tree and basically destroyed the bird house.
Im guessing that was its path back to ground through the tree with the nails into the tree
like a spark plug jumping a gap
I was in the house when it hit.
Was stupid loud...lol

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
My daughter and I were sitting at the table when our house got hit a couple years ago.

It hit my ham antenna in the attic, went down its coax to the radio, and then out through the ground wire to the gas line and out.

You could see where it jumped from the coax, through the insulation, to the ground in the nearby romex. It fried a lot of random things. Ethernet ports, but not the device. HDMI ports but not the TV. One monitor, but not the other.

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My daughter and I were sitting at the table when our house got hit a couple years ago.

It hit my ham antenna in the attic, went down its coax to the radio, and then out through the ground wire to the gas line and out.

You could see where it jumped from the coax, through the insulation, to the ground in the nearby romex. It fried a lot of random things. Ethernet ports, but not the device. HDMI ports but not the TV. One monitor, but not the other.
mother nature is a crazy bitch
my same house took a direct hit from a tornado
what it destroyed vs what it left unharmed was crazy
i studied that and learned why it did what it did
but its fascinating to look at stuff and try to figure out why it did what it did