Lightning/Surge Protection, POE vs Wall Power

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Out of these 2 options, what would you say would offer the greatest lightning/surge protection for a PTZ cam?

Option 1: Getting a POE adapter, plugging it into a surge protector inside, then running one ethernet cable (POE+) outside and connecting a Ubiquiti Ethernet Surge Protector in-line next to the camera in the yard. ( http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/ETH-SP/Ethernet_Surge_Protector_DS.pdf )

Option 2: Running an Ethernet cable (data only) to the camera outside and connecting one of these cheap RJ45 surge protectors in-line just before the camera outside ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/RJ45-Adapter-Ethernet-Network-Device-Surge-Protector-Lightning-Arrester-Useful-/371481250164?hash=item567e020974:g:-OsAAOSwYHxWPBqU )......Then running a separate household-type power cable from a surge protector wall outlet inside the house to the camera outside...

My gut is telling me that option 1 is probably the best....The reason being, everything inside is being protected by a wall powered surge protector and there's only one cable (Ethernet) running outside to the camera and it gets surge protected by the Ubiquiti at the camera........Option 2 would be cheaper, but the potential issue that concerns me with this is that the separate power cable (though surge protected from surges coming out of the wall outlet in the house) would not be surge protected AT the camera location from surges striking the outdoor part of the power cable and running up to the camera.

On the other hand, if I'm correctly understanding the specs of that Ubiquiti Ethernet Surge Protector, it will not stop a surge unless it is greater than 100 volts? If that is the case, then what if a 99 volt surge went through the line? It wouldn't get stopped by the surge protector. Wouldn't that be enough of a voltage spike to damage a camera that uses 48v POE?

The more I study this, the more confused I'm getting. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.