Local wireless network setup with Dahua

Steve_s29

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Dahua receiver wired into 4 cameras from Andy.

Everything is functioning flawlessly.

My question is, would it be possible to setup a simple local wireless network to allow remote viewing through an iphone or iPad while on my property without connecting to the internet.

so far I’m thinking connect a wireless router to the Dahua Receiver and broadcast through that but not sure how to connect to it or the cameras from there.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The following is assuming it's a POE NVR, please respond if it is not and the cameras are NOT powered by the NVR.

First, know what the NVR's LAN IP is:
Using the monitor connected to the NVR and the NVR's mouse, navigate to the network settings and look for the NVR's LAN IP.
If there is currently no Internet modem/router then the NVR's LAN IP should be set to "static".
Note what that IP is and its subnet, such as 192.168.1.108. It's a private IP so it's OK to post here. Do not post your WAN IP or pictures of the NVR's serial number or QR code.

You'll need a wireless router and it won't be connected to the Internet. Configure the wireless router's LAN IP also as static, in the same subnet as the NVR.

I suggest these IP's for use: NVR's LAN = 192.168.2.201, Router's LAN = 192.168.2.200. On both set subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, no gateway or preferred DNS settings needed. If the NVR or router insists on an entry, use 192.168.2.1 for the gateway IP and also for the preferred DNS.

Configure the SSID (name) of the Wi-Fi being broadcast by the router and its security. I suggest using WPA2 security and a desired security code. For that security code I like to use a 10-digit cell number as it's easily recalled.

Connect the NVR's LAN port to a LAN port of the router.

Enable Wi-Fi on the phone or tablet and log into the Wi-Fi SSID of the wireless router.

Open a browser to the LAN IP of the NVR and it should display the NVR's embedded webGUI where you can view the LIVE cameras page.
=OR=
Someone with DMSS app or SmartPSS Lite app experience can suggest a Dahua app for the phone or tablet and how to set it up....I have not used either app. Insure this works using the browser before you tackle using any app.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Dahua receiver wired into 4 cameras from Andy.

Everything is functioning flawlessly.

My question is, would it be possible to setup a simple local wireless network to allow remote viewing through an iphone or iPad while on my property without connecting to the internet.

so far I’m thinking connect a wireless router to the Dahua Receiver and broadcast through that but not sure how to connect to it or the cameras from there.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Yes quite normal

once you connect the NVR to the router, you will be able to access the NVR (and the cameras connected to it) via the IP address and a web browser per @TonyR s post above

Start with downloading SmartPSS Lite on a computer on your network. Use this to view live or playback recorded footage

Download DMSS to your iPhone for mobile viewing.

Each of those tools requires setup and an understanding of basic networking . Come back once you get the NVR connected to your router.

Steve_s29

n3wb
Reaction score
Damn thank you guys for the detailed response, I will follow the steps you listed and update you on how it works out

Steve_s29

n3wb
Reaction score
The following is assuming it's a POE NVR, please respond if it is not and the cameras are NOT powered by the NVR.

First, know what the NVR's LAN IP is:
Using the monitor connected to the NVR and the NVR's mouse, navigate to the network settings and look for the NVR's LAN IP.
If there is currently no Internet modem/router then the NVR's LAN IP should be set to "static".
Note what that IP is and its subnet, such as 192.168.1.108. It's a private IP so it's OK to post here. Do not post your WAN IP or pictures of the NVR's serial number or QR code.

You'll need a wireless router and it won't be connected to the Internet. Configure the wireless router's LAN IP also as static, in the same subnet as the NVR.

I suggest these IP's for use: NVR's LAN = 192.168.2.201, Router's LAN = 192.168.2.200. On both set subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, no gateway or preferred DNS settings needed. If the NVR or router insists on an entry, use 192.168.2.1 for the gateway IP and also for the preferred DNS.

Configure the SSID (name) of the Wi-Fi being broadcast by the router and its security. I suggest using WPA2 security and a desired security code. For that security code I like to use a 10-digit cell number as it's easily recalled.

Connect the NVR's LAN port to a LAN port of the router.

Enable Wi-Fi on the phone or tablet and log into the Wi-Fi SSID of the wireless router.

Open a browser to the LAN IP of the NVR and it should display the NVR's embedded webGUI where you can view the LIVE cameras page.
=OR=
Someone with DMSS app or SmartPSS Lite app experience can suggest a Dahua app for the phone or tablet and how to set it up....I have not used either app. Insure this works using the browser before you tackle using any app.
Tony,

It is a POE NVR as are all the cameras.

I got the IP address of the NVR and it was 192.168.1.108

I configured the Wireless router to the following:

Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

It did require the following so I entered them as such:

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

I connected the NVR's LAN to the Routers LAN1 port, and connected my devices to the routers wifi network. So far I have been unable to access the NVR from my iphone or mac by directly typing the IP of the NVR into my web browser, not sure if I'm missing something here,

Thanks again for all the help

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insure that the router's DHCP server was NOT disabled when you gave it that static IP.
If disabled, the router cannot assign an IP to your phone or tablet when you log onto the Wi-Fi.

IOW, you don't want "AP" (Access Point) mode from the router, it needs to assign IP's to devices on the WLAN.
If DHCP is, in fact, disabled then you could log into the phone or tablet and assign them a unique, static IP in the same subnet as the router's LAN but that would be a PITA. :cool:

Last edited: