Long-distance camera options

Priority

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to find an ip camera solution to monitor the front and back entrances for a house on a ranch. It is roughly 1/4 mile (~400 meters) from the house (where internet and power are easily accessible) to the front and back gates.

The current solution is a PTZ camera with "20x" zoom on the front gate that is mounted to the front of the house. This does allow to see when someone has opened the gate and get a general idea of the color and type (pickup/car) of the entering vehicle. The autofocus (haven't successfully disabled it as of yet) has occasional issues during the day, but is frequently adjusting (incorrectly) at night.

I think (a very dangerous activity for me!) that a fixed focus ip camera with a telephoto lens would provide clearer views. Anyone know of such a beast or have an alternative solution?

Thanks

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, thats a long ways. just for fun I ran into this thread awhile back.

! cant believe they even have lenses this big, lol.

good luck!

Priority

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas so far--the info inspired me to look in some previously abandoned directions.

Looks like Dahua's ePoE will allow me 800m of ethernet cable and have cameras close(r) to the gates. Link

Also, the idea interchangeable lenses is very interesting. Still reading through the different lens mount options and need to find a camera with a lens mount that is okay for exterior exposure.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score