Looking for a 16 port managed POE+ switch

metrangia

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good quality, name brand, 16 port managed POE+ switch? There are so many available these days it's difficult to tell the difference between them. I don't want to break the bank but would like a decent amount of power (8-10 cameras, probably none PTZ), the ability to create a VLAN, and the ability to monitor the status of the switch.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HP 2530 J9773a
you find them cheap on ebay

www.ebay.com/itm/176455800113

only downside, no SFP+ , so no 10G uplink

its quite (compared to others), cheap and if you get one with a "good" serialnumber , it has lifetime warranty.

also low power consumption.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I really like the Ubiquiti ones but they aren’t nearly as cheap as they used to be. I love the ES-16-150w (16 port, super quiet, managed, good POE power) but even used they are hard to get. I’m sure there will be tons of brand recommendations. Whatever you go with you can always use a POE injector if you need more voltage on any of the lines to run higher wattage equipment like PTZs, etc. If you wanted a 16 port I’d look for a minimum of 150w or more of POE power on the switch so everything runs smoothly.

Last edited:

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes 250W+ makes sense

If you like loud devices

Normal camera with IR on eats around 7 watt, PTZ around 21W when PTZ with IR on..

do the math.