Looking for a camera recommendation

Baspinall

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a quote I am putting together for a job. This is for outdoor cameras. I normally use the 2132's 2.8mm on buildings. This customers has two incoming gates that are set back a ways from the entrance for trucks to enter. He isn't necessarily looking to capture license plates but want a good shot of tractor trailers coming and going. Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks - Brian

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are we supposed to make recommendations based on the limited information you have provided? Where will the cameras be mounted in relation to the gate? What is the distance from the cameras to the gate? What lighting is available? Do you have pictures or a drawing?

Baspinall

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess what I am looking for is a basic rule of thumb. The customer wanted them pole mounted even with the gates. These are not built yet so I'm a tad in the dark on the final layout. Lighting is limited but there are no night deliveries. I could certainly add IR as well. I don't have much more info than that at the moment.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my not so learned opinion, often IR gets swallowed by the vastness of the night. If decent night vision is important then consider adding conventional LED floodlighting. In daylight? That's a whole different issue and consumer grade Hikvision cameras should be more than adequate for daylight (as you're considering 2142's I imagine those are what you're budgeting) and adding floodlights may solve the HIK night vision deficiencies. IMO the best night vision is provided by the Sony IMX178 sensor and I'm a big fan of the Longse LBW90S500. It runs about $100.00. But if you're set on Hikvision get their turrets instead of domes...the turrets are much better for outside applications. Dahua makes some fine products also as many can attest to.