Looking for a camera to share with guests

Maineac

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a PTZ IP Cam (indoor or outdoor) that can be shared and controlled by guests while disallowing the changing of settings. Ideally it would have at least a moderate zoom. I have Foscams, Reolinks, and some no-names but none meets these conditions; most allow live viewing with no control at all. Can anyone point me at a camera? Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Amcrest IP2M-841 in an indoor P/T digital zoom camera that is wired or wireless, ONVIF-compliant, RTSP to Blue Iris, VLC and Dahua-OEM'd NVR's, has SD card, wall bracket and you can create several users and allow them to only view, playback, P/T, etc. but no admin functions.....very flexible, under $50.

It offers 2 way audio with BI's app, simple microphone for others.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Maineac

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, Tony. I clicked on your link which brought me the attached info. I remember that camera; I disliked it so much I gave it away. It did have a good life in it's new home. I'm looking for a recent camera that can be used with today's browsers.amcrest.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, Tony. I clicked on your link which brought me the attached info. I remember that camera; I disliked it so much I gave it away. It did have a good life in it's new home. I'm looking for a recent camera that can be used with today's browsers.View attachment 197484
I use all 3 of mine with "today's browsers." They've updated firmware since 9 years ago.....in IP camera years that's a LONG time.:cool:

BTW, what was/were the issue(s) you had with it so I can perhaps make a better more suitable recommendation?

Last edited:

Maineac

n3wb
Reaction score
At the time it appeared to be a Foscam copycat and it did have issues but I don't recall what all they were. The guy I gave it to used it successfully to keep tabs on his elderly mother. I did buy the IP3M-943B the following year and I was unhappy with that one, too. If I remember correctly (old brain) I think I didn't like the motion detection photo file naming system and there was no way to change it.
Btw, I was mostly in Dong Tam and Can Tho '67-'69.

Maineac

n3wb
Reaction score
Ditto, Tony. Funny about that - the other day a guy comes out of my local grocery store in fatigues and some lady yells across the parking lot, "Thank you for your service." In 2010, with retirement on my mind, I went to the local VA to see what benefits I might have. A nurse there thanked me for my service. It was the first time anyone thanked me since being discharged in '69. Times have changed.