looking for a ipcam

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently some cars have been stolen from our neighborhood, finally the misses is interested in buying an ipcam! :redface-new:

best

poweruser

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome to the group! That's how many of use start out. Here's my recommendation for your first camera setup.

1. Hikvision 2335 2.8mm (widest field of view) or 4mm
2. i5 or better PC with BlueIris Software
3. TP-link POE Switch
4. Ethernet Cable (if needed)
5. Crimping tools (if needed)

My first camera went in over the garage, and is a good place to start. 2.8mm will give a wide angle, but I used 2 4mm cameras which cost double, but results in a closer view to the subjects.

My second camera went in over my front door at 2.8mm.

Then:

1. Mount the Hikvision 2335 (above the garage door in my case)
2. Run 1 ethernet cable from the camera to the POE switch (which is normally close to your router)
3. Run 1 ethernet cable from the POE switch to your router
4. Configure the Hikvision camera with SADP tool
5. Install Blue Iris and add the camera.

Done

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Dalepa,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I was actually looking at a turrent Hikvsion cam: DS-2CD2042WD-I but I now see that it has a 4 mm lens, so not a very broad view.
Perhaps I should look at others as well.
I want to link the camera to the Synology
Surveillance Station software.

Best

poweruser

PS This looks like an option with 2.8 mm: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DS-2CD2632F-IS-3MP-HD-Varifocal-ICR-network-outdoor-indoor-IP-Camera-/172000568686?hash=item280c08656e:g:MyYAAOSw~gRVsQYP

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I was actually looking at a turrent Hikvsion cam: DS-2CD2042WD-I but I now see that it has a 4 mm lens, so not a very broad view...
One doesn't always want a "broad view" poweruser.

Different size lenses have different capabilities which are used for different requirements in differing deployment scenarios. For example, one might deploy a 2.8mm lens high on a pole to monitor a large parking area where one needs to see general activity within the monitored area. However, you will not be able to recognize faces under such a scenario.

Alternatively, one might deploy a 12mm lens to monitor ingress and egress through a single door where face recognition is required.

Below is an example of what I am trying to explain...

http://www.icode.co.uk/icatcher/help/info/lenses.htm

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@poweruser here is a review of some LTS cameras which are HIK private label. BlueIris is great for some and others just need a stand alone NVR. You really need to do your research and figure out what is best for you, cause everyone here will give you an opinion that supports there beliefs - sometimes right, sometimes wrong. If you want take a look at these reviews I did, might give you an idea of lens coverages and quality. Best of luck and Welcome.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5681-HIKVision-amp-LTS-3-amp-4mp-Camera-review-example

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im new too..good advice above.. I went with the hikvision 4mp from here
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/hikvision-2142fwd-i-4mp-wdr-fixed-dome-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html

over garage, about 90 degree view..i use the free pcnvr from hikvision and a t20 server running win 10 not blue iris though. Its a good starter cam and can relocate if u wanted to later with 2.8 lense..to me 4mp seems real nice and good pricepoint bought in usa
Here is a screenshot from ipad hikvision app.

Attachments

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the links Q2U, Interpon and zero-degrees!

Seems that i have learn more about the ins and outs of ip-cams. Interesting topic.

When I was searching for the DS-2CD2632F-I(S) cam (since it has varifocus, which should be better right?) In my country the cam is available from around 400-600 euros but online on Ebay for much less: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.XDS-2CD2632F.TRS0&_nkw=DS-2CD2632F&_sacat=0

is that trustworthy? Or are these fake cams?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those eBay cameras are most likely "Chinese Region" cameras which means that firmware updates can cause problems. But the good news is that you probably don't need firmware updates because your not (yet) infected with Ipcamophrenia (compulsive firmware updating being one of the symptoms).

The downside of the eBay cameras is that the support (if any) probably suQs. The upside of the local cameras is that they are probably "Western Region" cameras with will take western region firmware updates and they and may (probably?) come with decent tech support.

What country are you from poweruser?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding "Technical Support"...a little-known Q™ism postulates...

"If a product requires 'technical support' then the product most likely suQs."

poweruser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Q2U,

Thanks for the info. I am from the netherlands. I don't mind missing technical support, am more of a google/forum type of person. I was afraid the camera's would employ different lower quality components.
With respect to the chinese firmware, I guess the interface is not in chinese right? If the firmware is not up2date, the downside then is that you don't have the latest options and perhaps some bugs that are squashed in official more recent firmware versions?

SCR

n3wb
Reaction score
All of the threads have good ideas. I started out small using my laptop and Foscam fi9821p (v2) version 2 IP cameras. They are Plug-n-Play. Bought them direct from Foscam on their website. They matched the lowest internet price an if you buy from them they offer free set up if you can't figure it out and free telephone support if needed. They are really simple to set up and use with BluIris software. I have not needed to contact them for setup or support as they worked right out of the box. Sure you can pay more and get higher pixel count and all that. But do you really need it for a simple cam setup? These are remote pan and tilt with two way audio built in. You can hear whats going on as well talk over the system. They will work great on your current wifi. No ethernet cables needed. If you need weather proof cameras they have those as well. Mine are indoors and the one outside is protected from the weather. Ran three of these off the laptop and wifi with no problems. I am now expanding to five cameras and going to POE (power over ethernet) for all the cameras. Going to incorporate the ones I have now and add two more. Got some good ideas on this forum and went on ebay and found a new HP optiplex desktop with a 4th generation i5-4590 chip for under $350. When looking into a new computer be sure to look past the "i5 or i7" part as some of the older ones are using outdated chips. Look for the chip starting with the number four. Like i5-4570 or i5-4590. They are out there, just keep watching the auctions, be patient and don't over bid and you will find what you are looking for.

For me starting out using the computer and wifi I already had answered a lot of my questions. Expanded as budget allowed and time allowed.

As others have said, advice is cheap. I found it helpful to hear what others have done and what is working for them. Take everything with a grain of salt. In the end, do your homework, don't over pay, and enjoy the adventure.