Looking for a NYC Area Installer - Or Someone who can configure .

Perfecto

n3wb
Reaction score
I have purchased the following equipment all from Andy, great service BTW!

However, I am very disappointed with the equipment, interface, software, and apps. System is up and running, I can view remotely on my phone, but its hard to navigate. I can't download the desktop app for MAC M1 Desktop. My other Mac I can, but still the software still seems very slow to respond. The DVR seems like another issue, very hard to navigate, can't name the channels properly, etc.

Not knocking the equipment, but my Lorex system is very user friendly and literally plug and play. I was expecting much better results from this equipment.

I have the following equipment

1 - NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( Didn't realize it needed 2 hard drives ) (Looks like $200+ a piece)
2 - IPC-HDW5231R-Z
4 - IPC-T2831T-ZS
2 - IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

Im sure most of my issues are related to the installation, that's why I wanted to reach out for recommendations.

Thanks!

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
re nvr: if u only need 1 hdd, i am sure it will also run on one hdd if you leave hdd2 unconnected.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
You only need 1 hard drive for the NVR.
You can rename the cameras in the settings.
Main menu... system...camera icon.. top left.. camera name..

These NVRs are pretty simple to use.. you just need to learn where all the settings are.. and there are a lot.. it takes a little time..

Are you using Smart PSS ?

Last edited:

Perfecto

n3wb
Reaction score

These NVRs are pretty simple to use.. you just need to learn where all the settings are.. and there are a lot.. it takes a little time..

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 7.53.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-06 at 7.53.41 PM.png

Perfecto

n3wb
Reaction score

Yes, SmartPSS , will not work on my mac nor my surface pro x tablet.

Is there anyone i can reach out to for support? I dont even mind paying someone to come out and help me out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us here know that the Dahua and Hikvisions of the world do not cater to the "consumer" market - their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to get our hands on these types of cameras and NVRs instead of consumer grade junk and not having to go thru professional installers to get quality gear. Now the downside is we get them at a discount and without manuals and support and thus are on our own to figure it out. And we are just fine with that! That is what Google search and this forum is for!

We are fortunate a forum like this exists to help with that. We do not exist in their world and that is their business model and they made the business decision to not compete with the Rings and Nests and Reolinks of the world and as such to do offer these cameras at box stores for consumers to purchase directly. Dahua and Hik cater to the professional installers...and would tell you to contact the vendor you got them from if you have questions or need support...

Contrast that with consumer grade units. You can call a Night Owl or Arlo or Reolink or Lorex or Amcrest or DLink or Google Nest or Ring and speak to a representative (now whether they can help you or not is another story) and for most novice callers they provide good customer service, but they will not tell you to talk to Best Buy where you purchased it...and several of these cost the same or more as Dahua or Hikvision...

Personally I will take better quality cameras and no support and forums like this than crap cameras with customer support that I end up knowing more than the call center person I am calling...

Keep in mind Lorex is rebranded Dahua, and my neighbors Lorex system has a very similar look/feel to the Dahua. Lorex just has stripped down the capabilities. Once you get going, it should feel very familiar.

Last edited: