Looking for a simple system I know what I need it to do, but I do not know what to get.

Sea2Ski

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Like many new people here, I am looking for help in setting up a system for my home. I know coming here is like asking what the best fishing rod is to buy, what kind of laptop to buy for home, or best knife to buy to a chef. There is no one system that will work for all situations, but I am sure that there are probably several for what I am looking to do. I am not looking for a Ferrari, but I am not looking for a Chevy Spark either. I am looking more along the lines of an Accord or Camry. A solid reliable solution that will get me what I need without being over complex or breaking the bank.

Specifically I am looking for an easy to use POE system for observation and detection, mainly for my wife's use when I am not home, and package detection.

My situation and "need to knows":
My wife has a business out of the home with packages regularly being delivered and clients stopping by. On average, we have about 6 cars come and go per day and on busy days up to 20 vehicles (License plate detection is not needed)
I have a flagpole property in a very wooded area, with a gravel driveway length of 465 ft where it transitions to being paved for the last 85 feet. At that transition, there is a designated 2 car parking area for clients.
The house is a traditional 4 bed/2.5 bath traditional colonial house with the 2 car garage on the left side (straight pull in, so you see the garage door when approaching). We do pull our cars in the garage, so we do not need to monitor cars in the driveway.
The front yard and paved driveway area is about 120ft wide total and 80 feet deep.
It is so wooded that in the summer, despite having the entire front yard covered with landscape lighting by 13 overhead landscaping lights 30 ft up in mature oak and poplar trees (to emulate moon lighting) you can not see any lights from the road. Looking out from the house where I am going to place the cameras, there are no hotspots from said lights.
The front yard is so well lit that if you park at the transition, you do not need any additional lighting to make it safely to the front door with ease. There are no other houses around me to cause ambient lighting issues, even in the winter.
Circling to the left of the house is a gravel driveway which leads to a 1 car "utility garage" located under the back of the house. There are no entrances on the left or right sides of the house.
The back of the house has a 20X40 foot elevated deck. The backyard is also about 80 feet wide and 60 feet deep. Beyond that are acres of dense woods further back and to the sides.
Being in the woods, I have lots and lots of critters coming in the yards and moving all around all night long. Racoons, possums, deer, deer, and more deer, fox, coyote, and even the occasional bear. We have had fox and fawns curled up on our front door mat We also have chickens that free range in the back yard, and occasionally pig and goat-sit via a potable electric fence we set up in the backyard. Ironically, no dogs or cats.
Ability to monitor the backyard is not necessary, but was thinking of doing a portion of it. Needing to monitor the deck and the 25 feet leading to the rear utility garage is.

What I am looking for: a POE system for observation and detection, mainly for my wife when I am not home, and package detection at the front door and..... wait for it....... at the end of the 540 ft driveway <queue descending trombone notes here>

Must haves In order of importance.
Easy to use and administrate, even for my wife who is technically competent, but loses patience if something is too complex.
Excellent Human detection vs animal and tree movement.
Alerts set to smart devices when human and or vehicle detection is made. (is there something you can do to make "Alexa" announce a vehicle has arrived?)
Local storage (no cloud backup or recurring costs)
Entire front yard and driveway coverage I do not need to identify faces if someone is on the driveway. Simply knowing if it is a client or mailman, or UPS or FedEx person is good enough (combination of vehicle type parked in the parking area and the person is sufficient)
Ability to see who is in the clients parking area (same as above)
Good in the pitch black when the landscape lighting is off. (Quick to adjust if we do switch the landscape lighting on) We also have floodlights on motion detection, but rarely are they turned on.
Ability to view any camera from smart device.
Two way communication to the front door.
Entire front yard/driveway coverage

Other considerations:
Remember, we are looking for detection and rough identification. I do not need the ability to capture a face at 50ft.
We have a security system.
I believe all but the camera for the end of the driveway and however I cover the clients parking area will be under eves or something I will make so they are not in "plain view".
This is my home, and I do not want the system to look commercial, but realize I will need to compromise on this somewhat for quality and best functionality.

Cameras needed:
1 for the front door, with 2 way communication.
1 above the garage door (to get to the front door, you need to get to it from the driveway) This camera will cover the driveway Or the "left side" when facing front of the house)
1 camera for the front yard (grassy area/right side of the yard facing the house.)
1 90 degree camera for the back deck (for up to 40 feet; human detection preferred to ignore pesky racoons)
1 above the utility garage in the back of the house.
1 inside for where my wife meets with her clients (already consulted with a privacy lawyer since that was a super major concern. But we have this taken care of a the cost of the consultation with a lawyer, which I think will equal half the cost of this system.
1 package detection at the end of the 540 ft driveway <queue descending trombone notes here again> Yes, this will be the biggest challenge as there is no power at the end of the drive, the distance is too far for just ethernet cable and since it is sooooo wooded, there is no direct line of sight. ( yes It is that wooded. Even in the winter, I can not tell if a yellow school bus is going by.)

I saw a system set up by someone who used all Ubiquiti hardware, and it looked/performed really well when he demoed it when I first met him. That demo was unplanned and at the end of a "what do you do conversation. His day job is in network security, not video security. He had no way to know he was going to demo what he did to me. It seemed easy to use and just the right amount of configuration ability. I just do not like that you have to use their cameras and their cameras only. But I have not ruled this solution out.

Budget: $2500 +/-

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the UB cameras don't have very good night vision with moving objects, anything moving, like a person walking, is very blurry under low light.

UB is also discontinuing their software NVR, and requiring you buy one of their hardware NVRs. I sold my two UB cameras after that.

I've experimented with a variety of cameras, and so far my favorite is a Loyota/Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE (about $180). awesome low light when properly configured (shutter speed and so forth). the -ZE has a 2.8-12mm zoom, I would get one of these, hook it up via a poe switch, and try it in each of your camera locations, determine what camera angle is optimal, then get an assortment IPC-T5442T-ASE (about $150 each) which is the same camera with a fixed 2.8 or 3.6 or 6mm focal length. Get all this from EmpireTech right here on this site (or via Amazon), and EmpireAndy here gives great tech support. hook all this up to Dahua NVR.

btw, I too live on a flag lot surrounded by dense woods, the road is about 180 feet down the driveway, and this is the view my -ZE cam at max 12mm zoom gives of me walking around in pitch darkness. I turn around at about 160 feet from the camera.

note I added an inexpensive IR illuminator just out of the field on the left edge, aimed at the driveway entrance. without that, it was much darker at the extreme distances, the IR illuminator built into the camera is only useful at relatively close ranges like 20-40 feet

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If just use a NVR system

Here are my idea.

1 for the front door, with 2 way communication. IPC-T5541H-AS-PV 2.8mm
1 above the garage door (to get to the front door, you need to get to it from the driveway) This camera will cover the driveway Or the "left side" when facing front of the house)----IPC-T5442T-ZE
1 camera for the front yard (grassy area/right side of the yard facing the house.) IPC-T5442T-ZE
1 90 degree camera for the back deck (for up to 40 feet; human detection preferred to ignore pesky racoons) IPC-T5442T-ZE
1 above the utility garage in the back of the house. IPC-T5442T-ZE
1 inside for where my wife meets with her clients (already consulted with a privacy lawyer since that was a super major concern. But we have this taken care of a the cost of the consultation with a lawyer, which I think will equal half the cost of this system.----- IPC-E3541F-AS-M 2.8MM a very mini camera, with good audio.

1 package detection at the end of the 540 ft driveway <queue descending trombone notes here again> Yes, this will be the biggest challenge as there is no power at the end of the drive, the distance is too far for just ethernet cable and since it is sooooo wooded, there is no direct line of sight. ( yes It is that wooded. Even in the winter, I can not tell if a yellow school bus is going by.) That is bit far away, if it's a opening place, can use a good ptz SD6CE245XA-HNR 45X zoom, can work great at low light place.

NVR use a NVR5216-16P-4KS2E .

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
re all those ZE's, if you want to spend the time on this, get ONE ZE, try it in each location, and figure out what focal lengths you really want there. then for the ones that want wider angles (2.8, 3.6, 6mm), you can save like $50 a camera getting the -ASE model with a fixed lens stiick with the ZE (or even the -Z4E bullet cam) for a longer shot, anything above 6mm.

if you have that forest 'moon lighting' you talked about, I bet you can turn OFF the IR illuminator and leave the camera in color in 'night' mode, just adjust the gain and gamma and stuff to pull a usable pic from the dark. I am using 1/120 shutter during 'day', and 1/60 at night, I prefer minimizing noise reduction even if it makes it look gritty, I'd rather sharp and grainy to fuzzy and soft. I ran a 1/1.8" "nitecolor" camera as my main driveway wide angle chimney shot for awhile, it had warm white LEDs and was amazingly sensitive, but can't do IR mode. I didn't like the visible light in our face as we're walking towards our home at night.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
oh! and don't put the cameras anywhere you can't reach with a spiderweb brush!

the IR lights WILL attract spiderwebs which will be bright in the lens because they are so close.

these work great for a regular evening walkabout taking the spiders off the cams.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.