Looking for a small close-focus cam for a hedgehog house (which is available in UK!)

Jul 8, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Hello! I'm a new member to ipcamtalk, currently have an old PC running XProtect with some Reolink cams I set up a few years ago (yes yes I know, hindsight is 20/20) which are mostly acting as a cheap deterrence from funny business on our quiet close -- most notably one time we had a carpenter round whose lunch mysteriously left his van and ended up in a bush up the road! Funnily enough no other strange stuff has happened since the cams went up :rolleyes:.

Recently we have had some hedgehogs in the garden and set up some houses and a feeding station, and we'd like to be able to monitor the hedgehogs inside the feeding station (e.g. making sure it's not rats/cats/etc eating the food). I can get a cable from one of my PoE switches to it easily enough, but I'm not sure whether there are any decent cheapish small close-focus wide-FOV cameras that would be suitable to go inside to monitor the hedgehogs. The space inside is around 40x50cm and the roof of the station around 30cm off the floor so I think it'll have to be something with a short focal length (<2mm maybe?). My plan was also to order a PoE splitter and get a junction box to also run a CMVision IR40 illuminator and turn off the built-in IR to mitigate spiderwebs on the lens. My thought was to set up this cam on dumb motion detection rather than constant recording since there should be nothing moving inside except for the occasional hedgehog!

I am looking to keep it on a fairly tight budget if possible, I did wonder at one point whether to get one of the cheapest Reolink models (520A?) to pull apart and try to refocus but knowing their night performance when it comes to moving stuff I think I would be better off with something else. I saw TonyR recommend the Sercomm RC4551 and OC432 as bird-box cams on some threads but it looks as though these are nigh on impossible to get here in the UK, otherwise ideal. I think I should be looking at outdoor cameras really since I don't have 100% confidence in the waterproofness of the feeding station!

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

Consider this => Revotech Mini Fisheye POE Security IP Camera, HD 3MP Indoor Security Camera CCTV 1.7mm Lens 170 Degree Wide Angle P2P H.265 (I706-3-P Black)

Not sure how'll it'll work with IR, no mention of a cut filter but there is a 30 day return policy. Also, there's mention in the reviews of the RTSP URL that works with VLC to be as follows:

Code:
rtsp:/user:password@youripaddress:8554/profile0
for HD stream and
Code:
rtsp:/user:password@youripaddress:8554/profile1
for SD stream.

Of course, place 2 "/" after "rtsp:", as forum software won't allow 2 to be displayed consecutively here. :cool:

Looks good, I might order one. Do you know if these sorts of no-name cameras tend to work alright? Not that it matters too much just for the hedgehogs ;)
I had a similar TOP-201 in place for a season or two in a bluebird box, used an external IR emitter. No way to know how similar its guts were compared to others of that same genre. It streamed RTSP to Blue Iris.

It didn't get into the high 90's during those 2 seasons either so I don't know how it would have performed under those conditions. It's been in the high 90's for several weeks now and the Sercomm RC4551 with my added heatsink is still ticking and is show below where I stream directly to YT from Blue Iris VMS. Too bad the Sercomms are so hard to find...IMO it's an ideal bird box camera (assuming the box is fairly rain-proof). :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: looney2ns
I had a similar TOP-201 in place for a season or two in a bluebird box, used an external IR emitter. No way to know how similar its guts were compared to others of that same genre. It streamed RTSP to Blue Iris.

It didn't get into the high 90's during those 2 seasons either so I don't know how it would have performed under those conditions. It's been in the high 90's for several weeks now and the Sercomm RC4551 with my added heatsink is still ticking and is show below where I stream directly to YT from Blue Iris VMS. Too bad the Sercomms are so hard to find...IMO it's an ideal bird box camera (assuming the box is fairly rain-proof). :cool:

FYI: Your feed currently shows "no signal".

FYI: Your feed currently shows "no signal".
Thanks.
Starting this afternoon YT has been getting picky about my audio, claiming no signal when I'm looking at it....not sure what the issue is as nothing has changed on this end to my knowledge. :idk:

Reactions: looney2ns