Looking for an Alarm System for PSTN wired home and/or wifi?

Reaction score
Hi. Long short is our new home was wired with PSTN at all doors, sliders, windows, the HVAC, coming out the walls ceiling for motion etc , everywhere in the house.

All i want is some system that can ultimately notify me, i don't want a subscription service at all.

Currently have a Hik DS-7608NI system in our primary home and like it at lot, so partial to Hik.

Can i get some recommendations for a system?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Honeywell and DSC are two reputable companies in the alarm sector.

You can get a communicator that will connect your alarm system to a communication vehicle (might be internet, POTs phone, or even cellular service) and then pay for a central monitoring system (like AlarmRelay). Otherwise you can generally "self monitor" by having alerts emailed or texted to you and not have to pay for a monitoring service.

Last edited:

BelMa

n3wb
Reaction score
I would recommend Ajax Systems.
They have both radio & wire connections. Very easy to setup yourself.

Reaction score
If you want self-monitoring, the Honeywell Vista 20p paired with the Envisalink 4 is the way to go. The envisalink 4 will connect to the panel's ECP bus and allow you to remote monitor via the internet. You'll receive text/email alerts and also be able to remotely control the system without any costs. The Vista 20p is compatible with hardwired sensors and Honeywell 5800 series wireless sensors. Plus the Vista 20P is a real alarm panel, unlike some of the knock offs I've seen mentioned in the past. So if you want professional central station monitoring, you can do that with the Envisalink module, Honeywell's alarmnet communicators or SEM alarm.com communicators. This system is very flexible and just about compatible with any respectable alarm company. Make sure you use quality motion detectors like Dual tech motion detectors to avoid false alarms.

The Hikvision model number you mentioned is an NVR for IP cameras. What you're asking for is an alarm system. Two totally different things and I would never trust Hikvision as an alarm system (if they even make one).

Reaction score
If you want self-monitoring, the Honeywell Vista 20p paired with the Envisalink 4 is the way to go. The envisalink 4 will connect to the panel's ECP bus and allow you to remote monitor via the internet. You'll receive text/email alerts and also be able to remotely control the system without any costs. The Vista 20p is compatible with hardwired sensors and Honeywell 5800 series wireless sensors. Plus the Vista 20P is a real alarm panel, unlike some of the knock offs I've seen mentioned in the past. So if you want professional central station monitoring, you can do that with the Envisalink module, Honeywell's alarmnet communicators or SEM alarm.com communicators. This system is very flexible and just about compatible with any respectable alarm company. Make sure you use quality motion detectors like Dual tech motion detectors to avoid false alarms.

The Hikvision model number you mentioned is an NVR for IP cameras. What you're asking for is an alarm system. Two totally different things and I would never trust Hikvision as an alarm system (if they even make one).
THanks for the suggestion.
Yes i know i have an NVR now, i was just impling that i like Hikvision and so if someone suggested a HIK alarm system it would be something i would be preferential too.

However, i know nothing about the honeywell so will check out.
thanks

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
for self-free monitoring, I prefer the Envisalink-4 module. Is available for DSC PowerSeries panels, and the Honeywell Vista, as mentioned by smiticans. Unfortunately, the PowerSeries is already in “the end of life period”, replaced by the G series, which I understand is not compatible with the Envisalink. Not sure if the Honeywell Vista will follow the same route. Even thou, the Envisalink offers the Solo series (only 2-zones wired, expandable to 4 and 8), and wireless add-on devices (contacts, motion, etc.).