Looking for an NVR to work with 5-6 cameras?

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is there anything special to consider when purchasing an NVR? It's going to be used with Dahua T5442T cameras, so I'm guessing sticking with Dahua helps with compatibility. I see a several options on Andy's website.

Do I (/should I) still use BI or does it have it's own interface? As I write that though, I'm now concerned what kind of interface a Dahua NVR will have considering how bad the camera's local interface is lol. I wasn't planning on having a dedicated BI PC for this NVR.

Can it be air gapped from the rest of the network with a 2nd NIC like a regular POE switch?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are a BI user and have been awhile I'd stick with BI.
The NVR's video from all of it's cams can be streamed to BI but not sure why you'd do that except for perhaps redundancy of recordings.
If it's a POE NVR with POE cams plugged into its ports then the NVR puts the cams on their own private network so the cams are isolated from the Internet.
A POE NVR's LAN could be on the same LAN as the BI PC.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are a BI user and have been awhile I'd stick with BI.
The NVR's video from all of it's cams can be streamed to BI but not sure why you'd do that except for perhaps redundancy of recordings.
If it's a POE NVR with POE cams plugged into its ports then the NVR puts the cams on their own private network so the cams are isolated from the Internet.
A POE NVR's LAN could be on the same LAN as the BI PC.
This is for a different network of cameras than our main 16, with a significantly more limited appeal and usefulness (more of a luxury than necessity). If I can get a BI PC Raspberry Pi or something with the size and efficiency of an NVR I would do that. Otherwise, I'm trying to avoid building another dedicated pc just for these cameras. A NVR POE seems more plug-n-play.

NVR's video from all of it's cams can be streamed to BI
Could BI be just the viewer without having to record? Or am I stuck watching playback in the NVR interface?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is for a different network of cameras than our main 16, with a significantly more limited appeal and usefulness (more of a luxury than necessity). If I can get a BI PC Raspberry Pi or something with the size and efficiency of an NVR I would do that. Otherwise, I'm trying to avoid building another dedicated pc just for these cameras. A NVR POE seems more plug-n-play.
Well, that could have served well in the first post. :cool:
Could BI be just the viewer without having to record?
Yes. No, only live.
Or am I stuck watching playback in the NVR interface?
No. Yes, if you're speaking of clips on the NVR.

Edited 6/14 @ 1343 CDT (misinterpreted post) :facepalm:

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
About the comments of BI being a viewer without recording, is it a viewer for just live video, or can it view recorded video that resides on the NVR?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
BI cannot view recorded video from an NVR
I figured that was wishful thinking. After running BI in parallel with an NVR for a few months I find I like the simplicity and reliability of the NVR, and the far superior viewing capability of BI. (On the reliability comment, I initially ran CPAI and reliability was unacceptable. I've since quit using CPAI and BI reliability is obviously improved but I don't have any long-term conclusion yet).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's 2 days in a row I've misinterpreted a post, but I had been having the unrealistic dream of using BI as a viewer for the NVR, so it's nice to have it answered and get back to reality.
It's on me.
Not to pass blame but wife's vision is getting really bad and she calls on me every 10 or 15 minutes it seems to help her see or get something so I find myself in a rush: read, think and reply/post....I'm skipping over the "think" part and am going to make a sincere effort from this point to slow down and be more accurate....and subsequently, helpful instead of apologetic. :headbang:

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So reading a little further, it does sound like my best bet is to stick with a Dahua NVR for compatibility with Dahua cameras. Am I going to hate the Dahua NVR UI/viewing capability?

Any suggestions on a particular model NVR from Dahua?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So reading a little further, it does sound like my best bet is to stick with a Dahua NVR for compatibility with Dahua cameras. Am I going to hate the Dahua NVR UI/viewing capability?

Any suggestions on a particular model NVR from Dahua?
If You want use Dahua 5442 - Dahua NVR is most simple and functional solution.
You will get support for ALL AI features - like AcuPick 2.0 combined with IVS or Face Detection / Recognition etc..

The base NVR models are from 5xxx-EI (on Andy website there are called -AI / -2AI / -4AI) line-up.. Start from minimum 16 cams model, 2 or 4 disk..
Question do You want NVR with POE switch built-in mounted in the place where all CAT5 cams cables going or separate POE switch and mount NVR somewhere next to TV or monitor to have simply access to preview video feed / configure NVR?

Local (HDMI/mouse) interface is very good, 90% functions works also over web interface (but there are limitations specific to web browsers / plugin). The weakest element in full Dahua env are mobile app (DMSS - workable) and windows/Mac app (SmartPSS - 1990 tragedy).

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question do You want NVR with POE switch built-in mounted in the place where all CAT5 cams cables going or separate POE switch and mount NVR somewhere next to TV or monitor to have simply access to preview video feed / configure NVR?

Local (HDMI/mouse) interface is very good, 90% functions works also over web interface (but there are limitations specific to web browsers / plugin). The weakest element in full Dahua env are mobile app (DMSS - workable) and windows/Mac app (SmartPSS - 1990 tragedy).
Interesting, I didn't even realize there was a local HDMI/mouse interface. Especially not one that would be different than the web UI. I was expecting to view everything over the network.

I also didn't realize the NVR would include POE until reading the last few days either though... I'll probably set up a monitor and mouse/keyboard in the closet where I've terminated all of the cat6 cables and was planning on placing the NVR anyway.

No better way to air gap it from my local network than not connected at all though!

The base NVR models are from 5xxx-EI (on Andy website there are called -AI / -2AI / -4AI) line-up.. Start from minimum 16 cams model, 2 or 4 disk..
Perfect, thank you.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't even realize there was a local HDMI/mouse interface. Especially not one that would be different than the web UI. I was expecting to view everything over the network.

This is video guide how to configure and use modern Dahua NVR (5xxx-EI)..
All footage is from using local mouse/HDMI interface..

Web interface is in most cases HTML'ized mirror of this - some elements are missing or simplified.

I also didn't realize the NVR would include POE until reading the last few days either though... I'll probably set up a monitor and mouse/keyboard in the closet where I've terminated all of the cat6 cables and was planning on placing the NVR anyway.

No better way to air gap it from my local network than not connected at all though!
You can mount small/cheap monitor/TV in closet..
Or mount next to big tv in living room to view 24/7 cctv preview on HDMI1-4 button on TV remote..

If you will not connect Dahua to Your network / internet - then You will lost possibility to remote view (DMSS mobile app) Your cctv cams..

If you connect cams to built-in POE switch (or separate POE switch connected to NVR second ethernet port on 4/8 disk models) - then only NVR (on one IP) will be visible in Your network. All cams will be hidden - NVR works like another router/firewall..

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ty for the video, nice to get an idea of what to expect.

If you will not connect Dahua to Your network / internet - then You will lost possibility to remote view (DMSS mobile app) Your cctv cams..

If you connect cams to built-in POE switch (or separate POE switch connected to NVR second ethernet port on 4/8 disk models) - then only NVR (on one IP) will be visible in Your network. All cams will be hidden - NVR works like another router/firewall..
Yeah, I'll probably try to think of something (VLAN, etc.). But I think I only ran a single cat 6 to my computer from this network closet making it unlikely I'll be able connect it to a 2nd (air gapped) NIC. I'll will always be concerned with any of this stuff calling home or being IoT hackable..

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably try to think of something (VLAN, etc.). But I think I only ran a single cat 6 to my computer from this network closet making it unlikely I'll be able connect it to a 2nd (air gapped) NIC. I'll will always be concerned with any of this stuff calling home or being IoT hackable..
Then small 5/8 port switch with VLAN support next to computer and NVR. One VLAN for normal network (first port on NVR), second for camera network (second port on NVR). Everything on one CAT5/6 cable to cabinet..