Looking for camera ideas for a vivarium

Scott_R

n3wb
Reaction score
I've set up a vampire crab vivarium and populated it with three of the creepy little buggers. They are really good at hiding. I've put in a wide, flat rock and set food on it; I then stacked some buckets and a box outside the tank and put a Wyze cam (v2) on it, close up to the rock. Sure enough, I catch them coming out to eat.

I'd like to improve upon this--if nothing else, having the camera sit on a stack of stuff is inelegant. I don't know if an external camera (or cameras) or an internal, weather-resistant one or several would be better. Internal doesn't have to deal with glare from the glass, but it has the issue of being blocked by the plant canopy instead. And there are high levels of humidity inside the tank, so while I don't have outdoor weather conditions I don't think it would be suited to a regular interior camera.

Since I'm trying to track the little creatures and not just view the whole vivarium I was looking for something I can focus onto specific areas--the feeding rock at the least, plus maybe one or two others.

I have my tank on a stand but it's just large enough for the tank, with no room for anything else to sit. I've seen housings you can use for Wyze cams to attach them to windows (though I'm not sure v2 is supported), but 1) I don't think you can adjust the angle (I'd need it tilted down), and 2) I'd rather not glue something to the tank. Maybe suction cups?

What would be really neat is something that, AFAIK, doesn't exist: an external base (power, wifi) with one or more borescope-type extensions (only need about 3-4' each) that I can snake inside.

Any ideas?

Scott_R

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe something like these ? ==>> WizMind Series (dahuasecurity.com)
Contact @EMPIRETECANDY for availability and pricing.
I'm not clear how they mount. I don't think I could attach them to the glass, and for the inside they're way too big. For a borescope-type camera I was thinking along these lines, i.e. with a very small, snake-able lens, though I'd want something with an SD card to store recordings (so I don't have to keep my own device running 24/7 to record). The problem with the device I just linked to is that it's only usable right at the moment and not for general monitoring.

Additional note: I'd like an app that can run in OS X/Silicon (like the Wyze app) so I can review footage on my Mac.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
While I do think some sort of pinhole camera is probably the best bet, I don't think those Dahua cameras are a good option due to their "close focus" specs. I didn't see on that would focus closer than .8m or 2.6'. I suspect you'll need something that focuses much closer than that.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used a variety of cams for my aquariums. The camera is kind of the easier part. The mounting is more the trick. Search for 1/4" camera mount and you'll find a wide variety of different things that may work for you... clip-ons, flexible arms, magnetic mounts, etc., etc.

Ultimately I ended up taking mine down. It's kind of cool to have the camera but the best cam view typically is where you want your eye view too so they tended to be kind of awkward and in the way. Got tired of it after the cool wore off.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I do think some sort of pinhole camera is probably the best bet, I don't think those Dahua cameras are a good option due to their "close focus" specs. I didn't see on that would focus closer than .8m or 2.6'. I suspect you'll need something that focuses much closer than that.
True :headbang:

Scott_R

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I bought these off Amazon. Stuck one to the side of the tank and put the Wyze cam on it.
Still looking for something else... or, in the interim, some sort of secondary IR light source--at night the IR LEDs on the Wyze cam reflect off the glass, so I'd like to turn them off but keep Night View on and use a small IR light on top of the tank. But the IR lights I see sold for cameras are made for lighting up big areas outdoors, not a cubic foot in a glass tank,

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.