looking for camera to trigger a relay

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recommendation for a camera of any brand that will meet my minimal requirements. For the holidays, I set up lights synced to music. I'm looking for a camera that can trigger a relay when a person is detected so I think I just need a camera with a pigtail that can be set up to trigger an alarm. I'm not concerned about the brand, I'm more concerned with the price. Why pay $200 when a $100 cam will do? The camera would be within 50 feet or so of the people.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Aren't you a BI user? If so, have BI send an HTTP command upon motion detect to actuate a Shelly Wi-Fi relay. Use an existing cam or any future cam you purchase for this project, no special wiring from the cam required:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am a BI user. I could use BI to trigger a relay through home assistant as well. I was hoping for a more isolated solution. He's using a $300 camera. I was hoping for a cheaper camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am a BI user. I could use BI to trigger a relay through home assistant as well. I was hoping for a more isolated solution. He's using a $300 camera. I was hoping for a cheaper camera.
Most likely would be a bullet and if a known brand with a decent MP to sensor ratio, won't be less than $150......I would think.

Do you already have a relay or relays now that HA can activate to turn on the lights?