Looking for feedback on Cisco WS-C3750E POE Switch

Autonomous

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at used Cisco WS-C3750E switches on ebay and was hoping to get some feedback.

This looks like a great 'do it all' options that I won't out grow. The

I read over this super awesome info sheet but still had a few questions.

Is there any reason not to get the 48 ports over the 24 port switches? The price is similar for both used.

I have some concerns about heat production. The equipment is going to sit in a 10x10 office that all ready gets uncomfortable in the summer. Is using enterprise networking equipment going to drastically contribute to the heat in the room? I don't really understand what 100 BTUs equates to in real life. I'm including the BTU Power Chart below. Only -PD models have POE.

Screenshot_2020-12-07 Microsoft Word - product_data_sheet0900aecd805bbe67 docpdf - Cisco Catal...png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking at used Cisco WS-C3750E switches on ebay and was hoping to get some feedback.

This looks like a great 'do it all' options that I won't out grow. The

I read over this super awesome info sheet but still had a few questions.

Is there any reason not to get the 48 ports over the 24 port switches? The price is similar for both used.
Higher power consumption (and heat as below if that's a concern).

I have some concerns about heat production. The equipment is going to sit in a 10x10 office that all ready gets uncomfortable in the summer. Is using enterprise networking equipment going to drastically contribute to the heat in the room? I don't really understand what 100 BTUs equates to in real life. I'm including the BTU Power Chart below. Only -PD models have POE.
Think something along the lines of several 100W light bulbs burning all the time when loaded and running. Probably a little more of a felt effect since there's a fan actively blowing hot air out of it all the time. Even at idle these kinds of things can be 75-100W. Load them up and that will increase substantially as shown in the table.

Which brings up another downside to enterprise-level equipment like this - the cooling fans are noisy as hell. You would not want to sit in a room with it.

Last, I'm sure that there's a web-based interface that can be enabled but you still may need to drop to the CLI to set that up and do other things at times. You can learn it and likely just follow instructions for most common things but overall it's not really trivial to manage at that level and there are different levels of passwords that you may or may not have, licensing for features, etc.

Also EOL and out of warranty but I'm sure that you know that and given the price not really a concern.

There are reasons why these things sell so cheap.

Last edited: