Looking for indoor motion detect security cam that works through glass window

Reaction score
Hello, I was directed here by someone at Reddit. Here is my question:

I need a camera that sits on a window sill and records outside through the glass.

I have been reading a lot about security cameras and that most of the motion detectors don't work through glass. I have read that there are Infrared (doesn't work through glass) and Pixel Change (does work through glass) options.

Can anyone verify if this is true, and what brands make Pixel Change motion detect cameras?

I was looking at Foscam, but read that their latest firmware update made motion detect through glass unuseable: http://foscam.us/forum/latest-c1-firmware-has-made-motion-detection-unusable-t13840-110.html

I'm a really simple person (not a technical installer type) so I would prefer something easy looking like the Foscam.

I cannot mount anything outside so please do not suggest this. It must be an indoor camera.

In addition, I'm looking for a camera that can be set on a timer, wirelessly puts the video in the cloud and emails me when motion is detected (I guess these features are negotiable compared to just getting something to record through glass.)

Theoretically, I could just leave the camera running all night, to get around motion detecting. But is there a cam with that much recording space (like 6 hours)?

I also want to add that the cam can be plugged into a wall, it does not have to be battery powered.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
'pixel change' motion detection will work thru glass (with caveats, see below). 'PIR' will not.

the problem with a camera behind a window is the reflection off the glass from light INSIDE the room.
This is much worse at night, making seeing thru the glass at night difficult unless the outside is lit up a lot more than the inside.

One can minimize the reflections by 'shrouding' the camera lens up against the glass,
but you still won't be able to use the camera's IR for night-time viewing, as the glass will just reflect it right back into the lens.

In short, it could be made to work, but you need lots of white light or IR light OUTSIDE the glass...

Reaction score
'pixel change' motion detection will work thru glass (with caveats, see below). 'PIR' will not.

the problem with a camera behind a window is the reflection off the glass from light INSIDE the room.
This is much worse at night, making seeing thru the glass at night difficult unless the outside is lit up a lot more than the inside.

One can minimize the reflections by 'shrouding' the camera lens up against the glass,
but you still won't be able to use the camera's IR for night-time viewing, as the glass will just reflect it right back into the lens.

In short, it could be made to work, but you need lots of white light or IR light OUTSIDE the glass...
I think there is enough light outside because it will be pointing at an area that's lit up by a street light. It seems to be pretty bright out there at night.