Looking for standard poe cameras for plate capture

Lieberkind

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have looked for ip poe cameras I can use for license plate capture.

This is only for private use so I don't want to spend to much on the project.

I have searched over and over, just to get more confused about HLC, true WDR, zoom and MPs.

Can you guys help me with my problem?

I am using Home assistant and Platerecognizer to recognize the plates in my driveway.

thanks.

BR

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you spent time in this part of the forum?

:welcome:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It comes down to three parameters - optical zoom, shutter speed, and angle.

You need enough optical zoom to make the plate as large as possible in the field of view. Ideally, the field of view should have the vehicle and not much else, so it isn't an overview camera.

You need to try to get as much as a straight on angle as possible, which is why most of us get a high powered optical zoom varifocal so we can point it down the street and "flatten" the angle.

You need to run the camera at a fast shutter in order to capture the plate. Shutter speed is more important than FPS.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. So this camera is only serving to read plates; it is not an overview camera. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1639656112947.png

If your distances are closer than 30-40 feet, then this camera will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-T2231T-ZS-Starlight-Vari-Focal-2-7mm-13-5mm/dp/B08133RTKV/ref=sr_1_7?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1638148539&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&sr=1-7

If you distance is more than that, up to about 230 feet, then this will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07RJQT9NB/ref=sr_1_8?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1638148580&redirect=true&s=merchant-items&sr=1-8

Under some ideal conditions, you may get a fixed lens to work, but that is more like a parking lot and slow speeds. It is best to go with a camera with more zoom than you think you need because almost everyone underestimates distances.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.