Looking for suggestions on cameras/placement for my new place

OgRoar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey team

I've been a long time lurker/occasional poster here. I've been using BlueIris for about 3 years now. I had it all setup and everything working/automated, was great. Life events happened and I had to rent for a while but closing on a house this week.

In the past I had wifi cameras and just liked them for alerts but the footage came in handy several times. I'll probably utilize them to trigger the higher resolution cameras. The 1080p capture, as you all know, is severely lacking for any distance. So I'm looking for some 2k and if needed, potentially 4k cameras. I'm not really sure where to start other then I would like to stay under/around $200 per camera. I have a Cisco POE+ switch I can hook up so wouldn't be opposed to POE but this being server equipment, she's loud. I can finally use my network closet again, probably a good excuse to get the blow dryer going (The Cisco switch). So I have all the hardware needed for an extensive camera setup, just no cameras other than wifi 1080p's (Wyze with custom firmware).

The two camera locations I highlighted with purple I would want to be doorbell cams, probably the Reolink everyone seems to like. Only other thing of note is there is an elevation change. It's a daylight basement so the 1st level entrance and the road is to the west and the yard slopes down on sides then gets flat in the back of the house, east.

Any suggestions on where to start on this?
1716865530054.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

Sometimes 2MP is the better choice based on distance. I will take my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed to a distance of 120 feet over a 4K 2.8mm fixed lens digitally zoomed to the same distance all day long.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection