Looking for the most compatiable BI Doorbell cam

yellowgto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've tried an older hikvision that required a hik NVR and tried hacking around with the YooSee. I'm really just looking for a decent 2022 doorbell that just works properly with BI. Any help for getting rid of my last non RTSP camera would be much appreciated

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
There are lots of options available. Unfortunately, none of them are great or game changing IMHO. I have used the EzViz DB1 and now the newer DB1C. I believe the DB1C is currently one of the better doorbell cameras choices out there. The image quality is certainly better than the DB1. This is with regards to traditional doorbell cameras that are powered via traditional doorbell wiring/transformer that use wifi for data. If you have the ability to drop a cat5e wire and can use a POE camera, it offers more options, but again I don't think there is a great option in that category either. It seems the manufacturers are content to produce mediocre doorbell options.

yellowgto

n3wb
Reaction score
That camera looks pretty good. The review says 2 way is only supported through a proprietary app. Anyway around this?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera looks pretty good. The review says 2 way is only supported through a proprietary app. Anyway around this?
Not that I am aware of. I don't use the proprietary app, so I don't have two way communication. Personally I wouldn't use it anyway. Nothing says "I'm not home" more than someone answering the door via the app. You might think that not physically answering the door says the same thing, but there are plenty of times that people are home and don't answer the door for some reason.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Doorbells communicate via SIP, which is a protocol not supported with BI, so you either use the doorbell app or find/figure out another third party app that supports SIP protocol and can accept the feed from the doorbell.

Reaction score
I am not sure why the Dahua VTO2202 villa intercom series keeps getting overlooked. It works with Blue Iris. It is hardwired POE for data cable. You can add daughter VTH monitor stations around the house instead of using a smartphone. It interfaces with Home Assistant to further enhance automations if that is an option.
It is 2x's larger than a Ring doorbell unit. You can do P2P/cloud to get notified and have two way conversations (I choose not to go this route) and can even unlock a door. I mean, it's not a Dahua 5442 series with super AI and all the bells and whistles of a 4MP 5442....it's a doorbell camera.
Now you could say...there is no way to wire in your existing doorbell chiming bell to it (I think). But I don't care for that as I use Home Assistant. Someone hits doorbell, I have other automations to notify me that someone hit the 'call' button. If didn't have Home Assistant, you use the VTH's throughout the house (they are also hardwired POE) to notify you. Or can get notify on smartphone via DMSS application.
The Dahua VTO2202 fit the bill in what I was looking for: 'call'button/camera in same unit, has to be POE, local, works with Blue Iris, extra monitor stations through out the house cause i'm not always near my smartphone. And doesn't cost $800.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a VTO2202 and have figured out how to ring a traditional doorbell with it. It does take some modification to do it, solder in two leads to sense when the button is pressed, and a voltage sensing relay, but it does work. I haven't played with a SIP server yet, I'm having trouble finding a round tuit.

I also have a DB1C and find it to be an outstanding POS. It drops offline about 200 times, or more, a day. It's on an 18 volt, 30VA transformer so power is not an issue. When I say it "drops offline" what it really is doing is rebooting itself. That resets its configuration so it won't even ring the doorbell unless I go in, 200+ times a day, and reconfigure it. Since I have other things to do in my life than reconfigure a DB1C all day, it only serves as a camera. I definitely can't recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have a VTH so I need to explore being able to enable the audio feature.

Getting "around to it".

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It also says it's a SIP for VoIP, plus bring your checkbook and first born young...it's an Axis as well as probably specific to their system.