Looking for unique solution for dash cam

COtto1984

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I drive a large truck and currently have an aftermarket camera on my front bumper to help my view when I park, etc. It essentially is feeding the screen on my dash via a yellow RCA video cable. If possible, I'd like to split that feed and be able to record as a makeshift dash cam as well. Are there any dash cam like recorders out there that I could supply ignition power too to record utilizing the RCA video feed? I have an "upper" glove box I could utilize to put the recorder in and easily supply power / video feed too from behind the dash.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You might have to look for commercial solutions such as those used by the police. However, they are very expensive and usually way behind the consumer products in picture quality. Even then, I'm not sure if you could split the cable as they usually come as a complete solution and not just a recorder so may use proprietary cabling. I'm also unsure if you can split digital signals so again your camera might need to be analogue or at least have analogue outputs. There probably is some solution out there, but I'm guessing it's going to be messy and expensive. It's probably way cheaper just to buy a quality dashcam and mount it on your dashboard or window.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sounds like what you are looking for is a Mobile DVR. They are designed for mounting in vehicles and have vibration protection and ignition switch hookups. Some have GPS built in too.

One I’ve used but is now discontinued is Speco Tech D4M500 - RETIRED

Can’t say I’d recommend Speco as they updated their mobile app so it would no longer support remote viewing of this unit. They also only sell to vendors and I never had luck getting support as an end-user. But that is the type of DVR that should work.

Wiring works be Camera RCA > DVR input. Then DVR Output > display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk