Looking for ways to view my cameras in every room besides using and relying on phones and tablets.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking for ways to view my cameras in every room besides using and relying on phones and tablets. Phones are nice and all but I need something that's always on like a camera panel or something. Currently I use an Dahua NVR+cameras that's connected to an old flat screen PC monitor that's always on in a guest room. I'd love to have something like that in every room. The reason why I don't like using my phone is, as strange as this sounds, it takes too long to pull up my cameras.

First I have to unlock my phone then I have to open the camera app if its not already running and wait a few tiny seconds to see my cameras. Now it may sound nitpicky but I'll explain in a bit. Another reason why I don't like using my phone(or tablet) if I decide to leave the camera app up all the time then that drains its battery and gets hot, plus I'd like to look at my phone for other things.

The reason why I want to be able to view my camera much faster is I had a recent incident this week at my home where I needed to pull up my cameras but I was nowhere neither near my phone or my monitor and ended up missing the incident by a few seconds.

If any of you older users remember helping me and my first topic from a couple of years ago, I had another car related incident but thankfully I had these Dahua camera to catch it all better this time however being able to pull up the cameras in time made me miss everything that went on. Pulling up cameras on your phone may seem simple and fast but for me, every second counted. I'd like something like maybe a wired display panel or something. Would also be neat if I could view my NVR from various tv's if that's possible. I guess they don't make 50+ft long HDMI cables lol

I'm also really not sure how to go about this if there are some panels I could get so I kind of need ideas.

shapin

n3wb
Reaction score
You have this "remote" with 4K screen, its really comfortable actually, a bit pricey though.
1626506125747.png

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@shapin

what is the price for this ugly piece ?

@Sunny7

there are two option (beside some $$$$ rtsp screens like EIZO FDF2711W-IP ):

option 1:
raspberry pi surveillance monitor ... (no control of nvr possible, only substream h264)
or intel nuc version with some control

*edit
option 2:

hdmi kvm extender like

*edit

(option 3:
cheap android tablet with own launcher / kiosk mode ;))

Last edited:

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@shapin

what is the price for this ugly piece ?

@Sunny7

there are two option (beside some $$$$ rtsp screens like EIZO FDF2711W-IP ):

option 1:
raspberry pi surveillance monitor ... (no control of nvr possible, only substream h264)

option 2:

hdmi kvm extender over lan .. they can not connected to your own network... they come in pairs and have to be connected together directly... only the transmitter needs power

there is one version with usb... so you can control your nvr (not sure if you can connect multiple mouses to a nvr, try first) ... or only hdmi (much cheaper)

View attachment 95417

(option 3:
cheap android tablet with own launcher / kiosk mode ;))
I have option 2 but from gofanco. Which can do 'one to many'. I bought this kit from amazon and a couple of RX's. Works great

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@Kameraad

wow thats sound great. it seems that they can be connected to any switch. the versions from the link which i posted are not able to use in own network.

*edit

ah didnt see that they dont have USB over network :( so only HDMI

Last edited:

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have this "remote" with 4K screen, its really comfortable actually, a bit pricey though.
View attachment 95416
That's pretty neat, I too wanna know the price on them. I'd expect it to be cheaper if you don't care about 4k though.

option 1:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Tutorial-Raspberry-Pi-3-RTSP-Stream-Viewer/cc54f892-b8d6-46c5-81f3-ee58b9284889

I've seen the term "raspberry pi" thrown around a lot but I never took to time to learn what those are until you mention them. So they're basically small single board computers that you can easily modify? They sound pretty cool reading all the stuff they can do but not sure I'll have the time to learn how to use them. I kind of need something I can put up and set up right away.

Now this is what I like. I'm guessing I'd need a switch if I wanted to set this up for multiple displays?

How can you miss it? Are the cams not recording?
Like I mentioned in my first post, I just wasn't anywhere near my cameras or my phone. If you want me to go into more details, I was taking a crap:poop:. I was luckily enough to had installed an alarm on my NVR but only set it up for just 1 of my cameras and that's how I heard something setting off my NVR. By the time I was able to get to my phone to look at my cameras I had missed what had went on. Its hard to explain but stuff can happen very fast on your property in the time it takes for you to pull out your phone, unlock your phone, and open the camera app. Those few seconds really count.

Normally I don't carry my phone everywhere in my own home because well, its my home. I shouldn't have always to carry my phone 24/7 in every room of my house just to view my cameras. I need a way display them always on in places where in case I can't get to them. If that makes sense.

Reaction score
Get Blue Iris.
Get Home Assistant.
Get a 32" or 40" wireless Roku smart TV and Amazon's wireless Firestick in every location you need.
Side load UI3 on all Firesticks.
On any triggered alerts, have Home Assistant turn on specific or all smart TV's to the Firestick which has UI3 running and then auto-turn off all TV's after a period of time (10min or 30 min).

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Now this is what I like. I'm guessing I'd need a switch if I wanted to set this up for multiple displays?
They claim you can just have it somehow in your network. There are also versions with POE and without USB for mouse/keyboard (cheaper).

Back then these extender devices have to be connected together directly. So you needed 1 rx and 1 tx for any monitor ... and also seperate network cables... But now there are affordable versions where you only need 1 transmitter and can add up to 256 receivers in your existing network...

@Holbs

firetv devices are awful ! i am wondering who is using these shitty devices. they are full of ads ! even if you change the launcher , its always a cat mouse game after amazon updates the devices ... tried it once, never again.
also they have to be connected to the internet and you never know what they sending to amazon . hell no ! i never was able to get them running without internet.. they always spam the network with calling amazon...

Last edited:
Reaction score
They claim you can just have it somehow in your network. There are also versions with POE and without USB for mouse/keyboard (cheaper).

Back then these extender devices have to be connected together directly. So you needed 1 rx and 1 tx for any monitor ... and also seperate network cables... But now there are affordable versions where you only need 1 transmitter and can add up to 256 receivers in your existing network...

@Holbs

firetv devices are awful ! i am wondering who is using these shitty devices. they are full of ads ! even if you change the launcher , its always a cat mouse game after amazon updates the devices ... tried it once, never again.
also they have to be connected to the internet and you never know what they sending to amazon . hell no ! i never was able to get them running without internet.. they always spam the network with calling amazon...
is why they are on their own separate VLAN network that you control in & out. Yes, Firesticks & anything cloud based in today's world call home and spam your network as they are idiot proofing. It's what they are designed to do. But do not discourage other folks looking to add UI3 to smart tv's just because you do not. Many folks here actually do it.

Reaction score
you build a IOT VLAN network for devices that HAVE to talk to the cloud. It's a necessary evil in today's world.
My firesticks (along with Neato vacuums and such) are on this IOT network with a different subnet than my main network along with VLAN's. I do not get that message that you get.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Install some tablets on the wall and have the UI3 feed running all the time.
^ This. Easiest and most effective way. I don't have mine wall-mounted but on stands. Works great. Easy to touch to view whatever cam or put up a single cam full screen as you want.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The easiest method is to use BlueIris and get some Amazon Fire Tablets. They offer models that have a wireless charging dock. Use the dock and have the tablet display the BI Gui (either using the browser or Android app). You can set the tablets to never power down when they are being powered (by the wireless dock). Having them on the dock means it is very easy to pick them up if you need to check alerts or anything else. Otherwise it will display the cameras in live view which is what you generally want anyway.

I have a 10" tablet and dock in my den and a 8" tablet and dock in another room of the house. They display the BI camera GUI 24/7 and work great. You won't break the bank purchasing them either.